X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave O
    • Nov 2007

Raw Water Strainer

This winter I'm adding a 3/4" Groco raw water strainer to my A4 between the thru hull and water pump. Unfortunately it will be a bit difficult to mount. There is no convenient bulkhead or panel to mount the strainer to, so I will have to construct some sort of backing plate to provide support.

Does anyone know if there is a maximum hose length or height (lift) restriction? I do not want to restrict flow by mounting the strainer too high above the thru hull. Currently the height between the base of the thru-hull to the inlet of the water pump is 9 inches.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave O; 11-09-2009, 10:29 PM. Reason: photo
  • msauntry
    • May 2008

I see a hint of a bulkhead in the bottom right of your photo. How about there? There is also a Groco combination seacock/strainer that stands alone.

There are no real issues with having the strainer a couple of feet away from the seacock or engine. Put it where you can best access it.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

I mounted mine up high in the rear of my C&C Corvette - boy I sure wish I had the room in my engine compartment that you have!

I have had no issues with the high mounting location in my vessel.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dave O
        • Nov 2007

Thank you 67corv. That's great.

MSAuntry ... appreciate the comment. Unfortunately, that bit of bulkhead you see will line up the strainer and it's support plate exactly in front of the water pump and make work on the impeller a challenge.

Dave O

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

DaveO - I think Micah is talking about the area just in front & to stbd of the accessory drive, where the aft block drain is showing..but I'll agree that 67's set up is pretty sweet!
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• rarspost
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Dave O View Post
            This winter I'm adding a 3/4" Groco raw water strainer to my A4 between the thru hull and water pump. Unfortunately it will be a bit difficult to mount. There is no convenient bulkhead or panel to mount the strainer to, so I will have to construct some sort of backing plate to provide support.

Does anyone know if there is a maximum hose length or height (lift) restriction? I do not want to restrict flow by mounting the strainer too high above the thru hull. Currently the height between the base of the thru-hull to the inlet of the water pump is 9 inches.

Thanks
            I have 2 ft of 3\4 line with a inline stainer and never had a problem yet,the strainer is about 4" from the ball valve.

Comment

Working...
            X