X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave O
    • Nov 2007

Install Location ... New Raw Water Filter

Can anyone recommend a preferred location for installation of a new raw water intake filter?

In the spring I replaced an old 1/2" raw water intake thru hull and gate valve with a new Groco 3/4" thru hull fitting and ball valve. A pic. of the old gate valve is attached.

The new Groco ball valve fits in exactly the same location. It's a true seacock with 3/4" inlet and outlet. The hose connecting the new seacock to the water pump rises above the seacock about 3" and then angles slightly to the water pump. Length of the hose is 12-14" from the top of the seacock to the water pump.

Is there a maximum rise or length of hose from the seacock to the water pump that I should be concerned with?

The raw water filter will have to be mounted to some sort of backing plate that I will have to add, and I'm concerned about possible water restriction from the new seacock to the water pump because of either the angle of the hose or the length of the hose.

Thanks

Dave O
    C&C 29 Mark I
    Port Credit, ON.
    Attached Files
  • rigspelt
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2008

Dave, I just went through this on our C&C 27. Hope I got it right. I installed the same throughull this winter. I added FWC and the filter. I tried in principle to keep everything as low as possible, but it's hard, as on many smaller boats, I suspect. The Groco ARG 750 seems larger than it needs to be (?), but the next smaller filter locally available is a cheap plastic model that looked too small, did not allow me to tighten the brass fittings as securely, and was harder to service. I hung the filter down as far as practical on a backing board secured at its upper end with 1/4" SS bolts in the cockpit wall just aft of the throughull location. I avoided any hose runs with sharp bends, but good quality hose can bend some without kinks. I added a siphon vent loop to the water hose going to the exhaust stack to minimize the risk of siphoning into the engine through the waterlift muffler. I don't know about maximum length specs. The MMI pump seems to have no problem producing a strong stream of water through this setup, though I have not measured it. I am open to comments and criticisms.
    1974 C&C 27

Comment

Working...
    X