• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

Chesapeake rendezvous

I just wanted to be the first to say thank you for an awesome day to Ed, Joan, Shawn and laura.
    Photos will be forthcoming.
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

East meets Northwest

Russ,

It was our pleasure. It really was a great outing today. Everything came together as planned, the sailing was perfect, and the A4 performed flawlessly.

Here's some photos of Ed, Shawn & Russ, wives Joan, Sue, and Laura, Russ enjoying an Arrogant Bastard ale, and Shawn relaxing after trimming the sails to a perfect set.
    Attached Files
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• CalebD
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

So Russ.
      The Chesapeake looks pretty nice in the pics posted. You can mostly sail all year round. When are you moving down?
      Long trip for your boat though!

Great that you all got together for a sail.

Caleb, up in NY with boat getting hauled 11/4/2012.
      Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
      A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• edwardc
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2009

Caleb,

We had a great sail with the winds blowing 15 - 16 today, and out of the WNW so there wasn't much fetch, so no swell or chop. With a reefed main & jib we were humming along at 5 - 6 kts most of the afternoon. And it was my last sail of the season, as I'm having the mast pulled Tuesday for a rebuild because its the last time the crane will be available this fall. Normally I would sail till the end of November.
        @(^.^)@ Ed
        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Nice

Wow, looks like a fun outing!!! Let me guess were there two sets of conversations going on, one re the A-4 and the other about dealing with the A-4 owners (??). I too sort of did my last cruise to the island this season so its time to put the A-4 to bed for a bit.
          Only 750 miles this season and about half was the lil beastie below propelling the Volador across the pond. I did a lot more motoring this season. Two weeks ago I did a circumnavigation of the island (Catalina) for Buccaneers day and in the 89 km trip I sailed for only 3 1/2 hours no bloomin wind.

Looking forward to a possible new set of skids for the motor, my steel rails are about to colapse and I'm not sure the 3/4" shaft will support the engine any longer.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Yup..great trip. why are my eyes always closed in every pic!?!?

Ed, how far did we go yesterday...37 miles?

Caleb, I went sailing on Dec 31 last year..I did have the boat "winterized", but un-winterizing the engine is worth a bottle of the pink RV antifreeze for me if we get a 65°F day in December. Supposed to be in the mid-70's this week & no rain all week. I should take the week off and pull & re-bed all my windoze..
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• Mo
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2007

Not bad at all!

Sounds like a great day there guys ... not too shabby.
              Mo

"Odyssey"
              1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
              The optimist expects it to change.
              The realist adjusts the sails.
              ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

V-drive vs Direct drive

Ed's comment about the A4 is interesting, & spot on. It certainly performed flawlessly. I've been on Ed's boat before, but during a summer storm at a marina..so, I didn't get to hear her under way. However, we did the same geek session back then that Russ & Ed did on Sunday while Laura and I were lost trying to find the marina..

A 2:1 reduction V-Drive A4 running at 2,000 RPM sounds very different than a direct drive A4 running at 2,000 RPM. Ed reports his cruising RPM is about 2,000 RPM, and even spinning his big prop, the engine sounds happy and content. My engine does not sound as content at 2,000 RPM as Ed's. I'll tell ya, it may not be real good for the engine, but Ed briefly ran Dolce Vita's A4 to WOT and screaming at 3,100 RPM for a brief period she sure sounded great...Ed reports it unfortunately burns a lot of oil at that RPM.

The point is that with the 2:1 reduction drive & engine speed at 2,000 , she sounded unloaded and just fine, but my motor definitely sounds like it is working harder at 2,000 RPM.

P.S.> Ed, did anyone get a picture of Russ napping on the bow? It might compliment his avatar!
                Last edited by sastanley; 10-22-2012, 09:51 PM.
                -Shawn
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• edwardc
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                  Ed, how far did we go yesterday...37 miles?
                  Yep, that's what my GPS log says.
                  @(^.^)@ Ed
                  with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2008

Ed, did the boat haul/mast pull go without incident today? Thanks again for a great sail!
                    -Shawn
                    sigpic

Comment

• Administrator
                      MMI Webmaster
                      • Oct 2004

Way to go, guys!

We were out today, and the conditions were similar until the wind died about 4:00 pm.

What filter did you use to make the water appear to be blue in the pics?

Bill

Comment

• edwardc
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Aug 2009

It's scheduled tomorrow at 8am. I'm aboard right now, having spent the day removing the sails and boom, marking all the turnbuckles and pulling the cotter pins, and disconnecting all the mast wiring. I'll spend the night aboard to avoid an extra drive back and forth.
                        @(^.^)@ Ed
                        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• lat 64
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Oct 2008

Crabs too

The day was great!
                          Yes, Dave, there were two forums on board, but it was good to get Joan and Laura's take on all things sailing. They are all articulate and knowledgable sailors.

I was not napping! I was on the bow on lookout. The Chesapeake is full of mines ya know! I did miss a few while yakking away though. It seems they were really crab pots, but we still had to dodge 'em.
                          Big fun that evening later when we got even with the crabs at Mike's restaurant as Ed showed us how to bust open the tasty little things all covered in Old Bay spices.

I must mention too that I was presented with a beautiful blue MMI hat(see photos), that no less than Don himself sent along from the boat show.
                          Thank you Don. I was surprised and touched.

We are also still having a blast in D.C. Being American tourists.

I'm having trouble posting pics from the i-pad, but I will get some up soon.

You can circle the world with my circle of friends.
                          Cheers to all,
                          Russ
                          sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• edwardc
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                            I was not napping! I was on the bow on lookout. The Chesapeake is full of mines ya know! I did miss a few while yakking away though. It seems they were really crab pots, but we still had to dodge 'em.
                            When I pulled the boat out briefly yesterday, I noted a pair of "Pot Tracks" in the slime on the hull. You can see where the one hung-up ahead of the skeg before it popped free when we tacked.
                            Attached Files
                            @(^.^)@ Ed
                            with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2008

Ed..is that a full season's worth of growth? Do you clean the bottom during the season at all??

It sure looks like that crab pot hung out around bobbed around on the skeg for a bit.

My bottom is BROWN again, and I just cleaned it about 8 weeks ago.
                              -Shawn
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X