X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Roger that Shawn. Admin, I propose adding Power Take Off to the glossary.

edit: Thanks Bill
    Last edited by ndutton; 05-18-2017, 09:24 PM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

Done!

Bill

Comment

• ckohler0529
        • Apr 2017

Thanks to everyone who helped me with my impeller removal

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied to my post about removal of the impeller from my water pump. I did manage to finally get the water pump off, and I will be replacing the hidden bolt with an extended bolt for easier access in the future. I have attached pictures of the impeller. As I said in my first post, I shredded it trying to pry it out. My next question is, does this impeller have a circlip? Since I don't know what a circlip is, I don't know what to look for. If this is a circlip, is there any way to remove it without the special tool? Thanks again everyone. It feels so much better to not have to feel my way through these issues by myself.
        Attached Files

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Yep, circlip is visible in the picture, has two small holes. The proper tool is cheap, may as well get one. Many of us feel the circlip is optional anyway.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• DDO
            • Dec 2010

welcome to our world, from a nostalgic afourian...

Hi! I just had to add on one more welcome after seeing the photo of the water pump's clip and recalling my puzzlement over that same view into my first A-4 project.
            My Ranger 29 has been my baby for 10 years now so it was a long journey from newbie. My best advice is to buy any and every part from the Moyer site that might make your engine happy and your future projects easier. The updated water pump was my first Moyer purchase. I do take the old parts home and rebuild for the "experience", but do indulge liberally at the Moyer catalog.
            These guys and gals have seen it all.
            (My second bit of advice is always "rewire your engine". I could go on... but...).

Comment

• tenders
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

The circlip is - believe it or not - the circular clip that holds the impeller onto the shaft. It fits into a groove on the shaft. You can pry it off with a screwdriver, but doing so is likely to warp it and a warped circlip is then very difficult to reinstall into the groove, flush and tight against the new impeller.

The circlip tool is like a set of very pointy needlenose pliers. It opens when you squeeze the handle. You put the points into the circlip holes and squeeze the circlip ends apart, and the open circlip comes off the shaft without warping. You might be able to make your own tool by grinding the tips of regular needlenose pliers, but as Neil mentions the proper tool is better and not very expensive.

So what was holding the shaft into the pump? Just friction from the seals?

Comment

• thatch
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2009

The correct terminology for this tool is "Snap-ring pliers". Most of them can be conveted for use on external or internal rings. Harbor Freight has a pair that would be adaquate for about $5.
                Tom

Comment

Working...
                X