X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chiron
    • Feb 2011

Mechanical fuel pump push rod problem

I'm in the process of putting my A4 back together after an extended stay at the machine shop, and have most of it assembled. But have ran into an issue.

When I went to put the fuel pump push rod back in, I remember it sliding right out, it gets jammed up in the bushing just as it should be passing through on the camshaft side. I was able to tap it all the way in with a screw driver but then had to use vice grips to get it back out. Obviously something happened while it was getting machined and the bushing should get reamed out. With the engine mostly assembled is there anyway to clean out the bushing without disassembling the engine?
  • BunnyPlanet169
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2010

Originally posted by chiron View Post
    I'm in the process of putting my A4 back together after an extended stay at the machine shop, and have most of it assembled. But have ran into an issue.

When I went to put the fuel pump push rod back in, I remember it sliding right out, it gets jammed up in the bushing just as it should be passing through on the camshaft side. I was able to tap it all the way in with a screw driver but then had to use vice grips to get it back out. Obviously something happened while it was getting machined and the bushing should get reamed out. With the engine mostly assembled is there anyway to clean out the bushing without disassembling the engine?
    I can imagine a purpose built tool to pull the bushing, but for the time and the money have you considered electric? I would be extremely reluctant to ream/hone in place even with a strong vacuum....
    Jeff

sigpic
    S/V Bunny Planet
    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by chiron View Post

It may be that the camshaft lobe is on the high point which opens and closes the pushrod...try rotating the crankshaft a little.

Now that you have used vice grips on the pushrod you might as well chuck it...if it goes back into the bushing then the pushrod bushing will be ruined as well.

Comment

• Loki9
        • Jul 2011

Just install the rod and pump and run the engine a while, it will loosen up. As Don says, "it's not a Porche."
        Jeff Taylor
        Baltic 38DP

Comment

• David Pugh
          • May 2015

Push rod issues

I had the same problem with my A-4. I would recommend polishing the rod in a drill with some crocuse cloth, if you only grab it on the portion that protrudes from the engine with vice grips you won't damage the bushing. I would not rely on the fuel pump spring to do the work, it's not strong enough.

That's my 2 cents, Dave

Comment

• chiron
            • Feb 2011

Got it fixed! Something must have damaged the tip of the bushing while disassembling the engine. Reaming seemed like a bad idea so I used the butt end of a .377 drill bit. It fit well into the bushing till the far end where there must have been a burr. A gentle tap with a hammer and then twisting it back out solved the problem. Rod moves smoothly again.

Comment

Working...
            X