X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fundysailor
    • Jun 2014

Head rusted out

While looking for the source of water in my intake manifold (pressure tests good) I pulled the head looking for gasket problems. Inconclusive. So had the head checked for cracks (none) and got it planed. Reinstalled to pressure test the block, only to find a fountain coming from the middle of the head, between #2 and #3. Guess cleaning the head removed enough rust that a perforation into the water jacket is now exposed! Question: if the head is that far gone, can the block be far behind? Is it likely to be worth replacing the head on a block that is now suspect? The water jacket, both in the head and block, was packed with rust. I'm amazed the engine didn't burn up as it couldn't have been getting much cooling, although there was a pretty good water flow out the exhaust, so there was a passage somewhere.
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Early or late model A4?
    The water passage was mostly through the bypass not through the engine.
    The temp sending unit probably had so much "krap" around it that it wasn't reading correctly.
    When a cooling system is this much packed with "krap" the "normal" rules don't apply. Something may be warped.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      • Jan 2007

Poor workmanship?

fundy, if you had the head "checked and surfaced" the crack should of been discovered by the shop. Something is wrong at the shop that did the work.
      If the block still holds pressure AFTER an acid flush it may be time to consider FWC. My engine is a 1970 original and RWC, that's 44+ years! I did pick up a HX recently to convert mine at the end of this season as I know mine has got to be getting thin too. The big question is how many threads are left in the block to hold the head and anything fastening into the water jacket.

Where exactly is the flow from the MISSED hole in the head? Did you ask the shop "what happened that you missed a hole like this"? If I did not like the answer I would get aggressive and at least get my money back.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• fundysailor
        • Jun 2014

Post mortem

OK, the engine is officially f**cked. Epoxied the hole in the head - (and no, I wasn't considering running it like that!) and pressure tested the block. Water coming out of an intake port, so there's a hole between water jacket and the intake port. Took the head off again, just to confirm no water coming past a valve, in case I hadn't tightened thigs down enough. All dry there.

John, I'm guessing an early model - 1966. Actaully think water was going thru the engine as the bypass port was plugged, too. No water temp gauge - always judged water temp by the amount of steam in the exhaust!

Dave, its not a crack - the rust on the top of the head simply penetrated down into the water jacket. Don't know if this is something a crack check would turn up? I'll take it up with the shop when I (try to) return the head gaskets I no longer need! White patch in the photo between #2 and #3 is the epoxy patch over the hole.

Thanks for the help - now to decide on a replacement.
        Attached Files

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          • Nov 2008

Sorry to hear the bad news.

A boat is a hole in the water into which one throws money.

TRUE GRIT

Don't know if one of the Moyer engine options would be suitable for you or not but I do know MMI stands behind the stuff they sell. It doesn't get any better than Moyer.

Comment

• fundysailor
            • Jun 2014

Yes, will be looking at the Moyer options, but also evaluating if this is the time to go diesel.

Some big decisions ahead! Thanks again for the comments. It sure helps to talk to others who have been here before!

Comment

• Loki9
              • Jul 2011

FWIW, that's a late model head.
              Jeff Taylor
              Baltic 38DP

Comment

• Sony2000
                • Dec 2011

fundysailor, if you want a replacement head I have one in Montreal. I could ship down east by bus. PM me.

Comment

Working...
                X