• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Check close

bigal, the threads in the block are 1/8 NPT. I would not use any kind of a compression fitting there unsupported due to the vibrations!!! The leak could be that someone used a "straight pipe" fitting often used on compression stuff.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Are you certain the "oil in the bilge" isn't a thin film of oil sheen on the surface of the water in the bilge?

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

bigal, I am with Dave. There should be no funky fittings in line between the oil pressure sensor and the block. Don Moyer has even talked previously about the original 1/8" npt pipe that is common on the A-4 failing after many years of service. Is it possible someone else replaced the original fittings???? Previous owner, etc? - I am sorry I cannot remember all of the details of your boat's history.

Can you snap us a picture of the current configuration?

Otherwise, I would recommend having a VERY short (2"-3" or so) 1/8" NPT pipe thread brass nipple coming out of the block (just aft of the flywheel on the port side of the motor, unless you have a V-drive where the engine is backwards) and connect the oil pressure sensor directly to that.

Let's start there and discuss. Some of us have other things going on that are not "Moyer standard", but I'll not confuse the issue at this point while we work on your specific problem...a leak near the sensor.

Pictures really help a lot if you can get some!
        Last edited by sastanley; 05-20-2014, 10:52 PM.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• bigal
          • Jun 2006

Guys - here is a picture of the fitting at the crankcase now disconnected showing the compression fitting and 1/8" copper line which seems to go directly to the gauge (maybe there is a sensor hidden somewhere).

[IMG]C:\Users\Alec\Pictures\Shameles Rigging\P1000460[/IMG]

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            • Jan 2007

Mechanical

Bigal, you have a "mechanical" gage if it is fed by a copper tube from the oil port. The pother end probably screws into the gage, look behind it.

Any sender (electric) set up is going to have the sender mounted there. I have a mechanical gage screwed in next to me sender via a tee fitting. This way I have a clean set up to the cockpit (electric) gage and if I'm futzing around the engine I have one right there too. With the two I can compare if something is amiss between there readings.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• bigal
              • Jun 2006

Dave, how do you post a photo to this forum? I've done it before but have forgotten, there doesn't seem to be an option to browse the harddrive.

Comment

• Minnesota_Slick
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bigal View Post
                Dave, how do you post a photo to this forum? I've done it before but have forgotten, there doesn't seem to be an option to browse the harddrive.
                bigal,

To post pictures to this thread, you first need to upload the pictures to a photo sharing site, like photobucket, or dropbox.

From there, you can copy the URL to the pic, then paste that URL into the field that pops up when you click the "insert image" button.
                1977 Ericson 29' hull #527
                Lake Pepin Marina
                Lake City, MN

Comment

• bigal
                  • Jun 2006

Here is the photo I was trying to post, sorry for the focus, but the compression fitting is shown disconnected. What is the best method to attach this line?

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    • Jan 2007

Replace it

Al, I'd replace the fitting too!! The "ferrules" looks to be for poly type tubing. It works OK but not as good as a true copper type.

You should cut the tubing back and slide on a new ferrules from the !/8"NPT by 1/8" tubing compression fitting.

Go for all new to the gage is my suggestion. The fittings and tubing are cheap and "new" is far easier to work with.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• bigal
                      • Jun 2006

Have finally spent some time onboard our 36' Pearson and the A4 is losing oil at about a quart an hour. The installation is such that there is a holding volume directly under the pan created by the fiberglass structure that mounts the A4 which fills with oil. I have repaired all the leaks I can see on the exterior of the block, I'm now suspecting the water pump seal, but don't see how the oil lost from there could end up under the pan. Is there another culprit I haven't considered?

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by bigal View Post
                        Is there another culprit I haven't considered?
                        Leaking seal on the back of the tranny???? Not sure about this.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Loki9
                          • Jul 2011

Does it leak oil when it's not running?
                          Jeff Taylor
                          Baltic 38DP

Comment

• bigal
                            • Jun 2006

It seems to leak only when running, I have thought that the rear main seal might be the problem but hope this isn't the case.

Comment

• Marian Claire
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Aug 2007

Are you sure that the liquid collecting below the pan is all oil? More than once I have been fooled/scared by what turns out to be a small amount of oil sitting on top of a large amount of water. Do you see a corresponding drop in oil on the dip stick?
                              Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• bigal
                                • Jun 2006

Yes, there is a noticeable loss of oil as measured on the dipstick. I'm guessing there is some water in this muck, but it is mostly oil.

Comment

Working...
                                X