• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • W2ET
    Former Admin
    • Oct 2008

Wire ferrules

I stumbled across these while watching umpteen YouTube videos on the subject of another thread.

Anybody using them? Seems like a litttle thing, but a nice improvement.

Here's one of numerous videos on YouTube describing the process.

Bill
    Last edited by W2ET; 10-12-2023, 02:48 PM.
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

I use them wherever I can with electronics that only have the compression screw for attaching the wire to the unit.
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic

Comment

• msmith10
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2006

Like Greg, I use them for small gauge wiring like instruments, etc. You can buy a crimping tool that compresses them radially very nicely, and you can buy small terminal blocks with compression screws to make your own junctions. Much more reliable than standard crimp terminals for really small wires.
      Mark Smith
      1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• edwardc
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2009

I'm using them too, for much the same reasons as Greg and Mark. Picked up a nice kit off of Amazon that has a wide range of sizes neatly organized in a box, a radial crimper tool, and a zippered nylon case to hold everything.
        Last edited by edwardc; 10-13-2023, 03:39 PM.
        @(^.^)@ Ed
        1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• W2ET
          Former Admin
          • Oct 2008

After readng the responses from members I know well and trust, I decided to buy a ferrule kit from Amazon.

When it arrived, I was confronted with the usual "What's this, and what's it for?" questions from my bride. Some of my answers are better than others, and that's assuming I even remember what it was that I ordered in the first place.

Perhaps MMI should package a canned response to these questions with every shipment? One of those AI chatbots might reduce the MMI workload in making this happen? Desirably the chatbot would load these responses with indecipherable words and phrases (like "The fetzer valve requires this to optimize the integral of octane level.")

I tried this once and got this:

In the Atomic 4 engine, there is a little-known but absolutely essential component called the "Quantum Flux Regulator." This seemingly fantastical device is responsible for ensuring that the engine operates in a state of perpetual quantum entanglement with the very fabric of the universe.

You see, without the Quantum Flux Regulator, the Atomic 4 engine would be limited to conventional physics, and its performance would be utterly lackluster. But with this revolutionary device, the engine taps into the hidden energies of the multiverse. It allows the engine to simultaneously exist in all possible states, effectively providing limitless power.

The Quantum Flux Regulator harnesses the uncertainty principle to fuel the engine. It borrows energy from parallel universes, ensuring that the engine never runs out of power. This means the Atomic 4 can break the laws of thermodynamics, achieving 200% efficiency and even propelling vehicles backward in time when running in reverse.

Furthermore, this component ensures that the Atomic 4 engine can make quantum leaps in speed and performance, quite literally jumping from one point to another without traversing the space in between. It's the reason why Atomic 4-powered vehicles appear to vanish and reappear at their destination instantaneously.

So, remember, the next time you marvel at the incredible performance of an Atomic 4 engine, it's all thanks to the indispensable Quantum Flux Regulator, which is the gateway to a world of quantum wonders and time-bending adventures!
          In practice, the phrase "Quantum Flux Regulator" would be replaced with the name of the part being shipped.

Or would that only increase the number of questions?

Looking at the other end of the horse, do you think "The engine won't run without it." would pass muster?

Bill

ps: In the mornng, I am capable of deep thoughts with the benefit of little more than three cups of coffee.
          Last edited by W2ET; 10-16-2023, 07:15 AM. Reason: example added.

Comment

• msmith10
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2006

Bill,
            I doubt any of those responses would please your wife. Try one of these:
            "It will make the boat smell better"
            "It keeps mice and cockroaches off the boat"
            "It is for setting up a central vacuum system"
            "It's a Coast Guard required safety item"

Or you can rely on my favorite: "I've had that forever. It came with the boat"

One of my fears in life is that after I die my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.
            Last edited by msmith10; 10-16-2023, 03:09 PM. Reason: more info
            Mark Smith
            1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

so, then the part you just crimped slides into what?

edit - oh I see now. I was so impatient I asked before I watched the entire video

So, what gauge wire is 'safe' to go up to??

edit - I am so lazy...all caught up now.. looks like some kits go up to 8 gauge wire, but those are square..the hex ones are 10 gauge.
              Last edited by sastanley; 10-17-2023, 12:14 PM.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• W2ET
                Former Admin
                • Oct 2008

The "crimping range" of the kit I bought is AWG 28-7.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                X