• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baileyem
    • Jun 2006

A quick fix

Don,
    Thanks for providing this forum for the A4 family. I have used it, and the advice provided, frequently in the past and had occasion to do so again this past week.

I was returning from a short 'sailing' cruise (the wind was against me 75 % of the time) during which I had to rely on my A4 considerably more than I had planned. About one half hour before my arrival back at my home port a valve decided to stick. I wasn't sure whether it was a fouled plug or a stuck valve until I was at the dock. A thumb-check for compression confirmed that a stuck valve was a possibility on #2 cylinder. A flashlight and a probe confirmed that it was a valve.
    Not wanting to remove the head and not having adequate access to the valve chamber cover, I figured that my season was over until I had the time to do the work this winter.
    Thinking back over the threads I have read on the subject, I remembered 'the bent screwdriver' trick. First I sprayed a bit or carb cleaner on the valve stem and followed it with generous squirts of MMO. Not having a sacrificial screwdriver, I took a 5" common nail and flattened the pointed end a bit with a hammer and then bent it into an 'L'. Inserting it into the sparkplug hole, placing the 'L' on the top of the valve, and tapping the valve closed was simple. The toughest part was getting the length of the leg on the 'L' correct.
    I am not sure what caused the valve to stick as I do use MMO in my fuel and in the oil. I also use it liberally when I winterize the engine.
    Any how, my point is that The advice available in this forum has again proven accurate, simple and effective. My thanks to Don and all who participate here.

Mike, 1966 Pearson Coaster #36
Working...
X