• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aaaaahab
    Frequent Contributor
    • Apr 2011

Float valve needle and seat

I have several times over the years had the tip of this needle change shape from a cone to a plug that sticks shut.
    Do others have this problem. It requires replacing the needle.
    Is there a way to keep this from happening. For me the needles hold up about 1.5 seasons.
    Will changing the seat to help?
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Off the top of my head there sounds like there is a mismatch between the needle valve and the seat. Maybe different manufactures? I would try buying them as a pair.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• edwardc
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2009

I've had the float valve tip completely disintegrate, leaving just the metal stump! I believe (without proof) that this is a result of ethanol in the gas softening the rubber tip.

@(^.^)@ Ed
      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Loki9
        • Jul 2011

Fuel pressure too high?
        Jeff Taylor
        Baltic 38DP

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

My rule!

I seldom replace the needle and seat when redoing a carb and I've done hundreds of them! When using a "tipped" needle I always replace the "set" however on the solid ones unless I can "see" an imperfection forming on the needle I leave that "matced set" in place as they are well "mated" and known to work properly. I have had far more trouble with new "hard needle & seat sets" that don't seat until you futz around with them a bit.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
          X