X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave O
    • Nov 2007

New Instrument Panel

I have a C&C 29 Mark I and a photo of the existing instrument panel is attached. The panel is on the starboard side of the cockpit about knee high.

The panel has several shortcomings not least of which is appearance. The pull-out ignition switch (engine on) is also poorly located. On a few occasions I have pushed in the switch (and killed the engine) during docking by accidently pushing in the switch while moving around the wheel to reach the docking lines. Space is limited.

I am adding one of Don's tachs and this caused me to rethink the panel arrangement as there is not sufficient room to simply add another gauge beside the existing gauges.

Has anyone installed a new panel that would accomodate the new tach and also accomodate a new weatherproof/protective cover I would like to add?

Thank you

Dave O
    C&C 29 Mark I
    Port Credit, ON
    Attached Files
  • rigspelt
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2008

Here's my new panel on a C&C 27, with a tach and voltmeter from MMI (I removed the ammeter and moved the fuel gauge to the cabin). The new plexiglass shelf was not installed when I took this photo (see it lying on the seat above, in its paper covers). I went with a key switch. On this 27 it seems to be out of the way, but the key sticks out about as far as the ignition switch. If it is an issue this summer, then I'll be thinking about a cover too. It wouldn't be too difficult in my case to add a 2" tall plexiglass barrier across the front, over the key and switches but below the gauges, as long as it allows for choke travel.

From a cosmetic perspective, if I had it to do over, I might check out the custom panel service from the company mentioned in this thread: http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3285.
    Attached Files
    1974 C&C 27

Comment

• Dave O
      • Nov 2007

Very nice panel Rigs ... thanks.

Comment

• Overspendin'
        • Oct 2006

Not the same boat, but this is what I did on my Catalina 30. http://catalinathirty.com/MovingTheGauges.html
        - Boyd at www.catalinathirty.com

Comment

• rigspelt
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Overspendin' View Post
          Not the same boat, but this is what I did on my Catalina 30. http://catalinathirty.com/MovingTheGauges.html
          WOW! Very nice indeed.
          1974 C&C 27

Comment

• team118
            • Feb 2009

...I tried this

I saw an article in SAIL that talked about a Company called Front Panel Express. They have free software you download and design your own panel.

Holes, lettering, color, material, installation holes, countersinking, etc.

I designed the panel below and I think it cost about $90. The only thing I did was make the holes TOO close to the actual gauge opening...too tight and I had to use my Dremmel tool to open them up....oops!

Love the panel and some day I'll get a better housing. I use the old Catalina 30 housing that was below and fit the new panel in.

Here is the link http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

Here is a picture of the panel. I orignally was going the route that Overspending went. He has a great website and it should be required reading for every one

Good Luck!
            Chris

Comment

• Dave O
              • Nov 2007

These panels look great and I really appreciate the ideas. I have done a lot of engine tune-up and deck work on my C&C 29 Mark I during the past two summers and winters, and the instrument panel is the last involved thing I want to look at over the immediate/short term. Judging from the mass of 30 year old wiring on my boat it will be a real science project. Nice thing about it is that the effort and time involved really pays off with a big cosmetic improvement as well improvements with safety and reliability.

We should create a best instrument panel award!

Quick question for Overspending. You seem to have installed a plexiglass panel or cover over the gauges with cut-outs that allow you to operate the choke, blower etc. The plexiglass cover is thus (I presume) not watertight. Is the plexiglass cover just for ease of cleaning and to deflect major water spray or does it serve another purpose that I don't see from the photos?

Dave

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dave O View Post

We should create a best instrument panel award!

Dave
                OK - I'm in! Here is the one I made up for Dulcinea, my 1967 C&C Corvette. It is made from Lignum vitae, red oak, plexiglass and other assorted bits and pieces including the vintage Sun tach from a Mercruiser.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Overspendin'
                  • Oct 2006

Dave, the acrylic cover just acts as a splash gaurd.
                  I also had a Sunbrella rain cover stiched up.
                  It covers the entire panel and wraps over the top of the coaming by about an inch.
                  BTW, those Front Panel Express units are very nice!

Comment

• Dave O
                    • Nov 2007

I'm reviving this thread as I'm finally ready to replace the instrument panel on my C&C 29 Mark I as a winter project.

I plan to replace all the original gauges with Isspro through MM. However, Moyer does not supply fuel level. Don notes this can be a bit tricky based upon the actual vessel and fuel tank, which may be why they do not offer fuel level.

Do anyone have experience replacing an original fuel gauge with an Isspro on a vessel like this? I would like to stay with one manufacturer for all gauges and I do want fuel included in the cockpit instrument cluster. My tank is the original aluminum 20 US gal (75.8 litres).

Thanks

Dave

Comment

• SeaFever
                      • Dec 2009

Dave O,

Do you have a tiller or Wheel Steering? In case you have a Edson Pedestal you may want to check out the EP162 EngionePod from Ocean Equipment. They have a special going on for last quantities and the price is not bad. I am thinking of getting one. Note this is an empty Pod you have to use your own gauges etc...

Just a thought. Cheers.

Comment

• SeaFever
                        • Dec 2009

Overspendin,

Somehow I cannot get to you information using the link. My browser does not find the page.

Anyone else have the same problem?

I am interested to see what you did on your Catalina 30...

Cheers.

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

sold!

Sea Fever,

Boyd (Overspendin') sold his boat and doesn't have the website anymore. He went to the dark side and bought a trawler.

His site was fantastic and it detailed an amazing amount of work he did in restoring Hull #8. I wish I had archived it before it disappeared.

He apparently is still a member of the C-30 Yahoo group, and a I think a few of those members have the ability to get in touch with him. I am pretty sure he is in Vancouver.
                          -Shawn
                          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                          sigpic

Comment

• SeaFever
                            • Dec 2009

Shawn,

Thanks for your reply. Boy, from what you describe it would have been great to see some of his pictures. Anyways.

All,

Can you all guide me to what should be the range (min-max) of what I should expect for the engine in the excellent condition that it is in? I would appreciate your input. My thought has been to price it considering of the cost of either rebuilding an engine or buying a rebuilt one. In both cases it is an exchange. Whereas if someone bought my engine to replace theirs they would have theirs to use as spare or sell.

Please feel free to send me a personal message or email me at msoneji@pacbell.net

Thanks!

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

Dave O,

No tach on mine but here is a pic anyway. The panel face was engraved by a local trophy shop to my design, the rest of the project was home grown using the original gauges and including the new fiberglass niche. This was also a panel relocation project as mine was originally a tiller steered boat with the original panel on the fwd port cockpit side at foot level. When I installed the pedestal I couldn't see the gauges so they had to move. I also added a plexi splash guard.

My mantra: If you do it all yourself, you can have it any way you want.
                              Attached Files
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California
                              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
                              X