Can you identify these parts (and other various questions)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LasVegasSailing
    • Mar 2017

Can you identify these parts (and other various questions)?

Hi guys! First off, want to say thanks for putting together an amazing community and knowledge base. Everyone I know that owns a Cat seems to point back to this site at one point or another.

The boat:
    1978 Catalina 27

So, I have learned a few "lessons" during my last outing, and now i'm dealing with repairing the damage of my lessons.

Raw Water Cooling
    So, water stopped coming out of the transom which lead me to following the flow of water. Started at the water inlet and found this:

Inlet Open

Inlet Closed

When its "open" or "closed" you can see that the same amount of water is coming out of the inlet (its a very small amount, but you can see it pool over the top and to the right of the inlet).

I'm assuming WAY more water should be coming out if this inlet is thrown open, but would like one of you guys to confirm this.

Also, if you look at this close up, i'll like to point out a piece of the inlet that doesn't rotate:

I'm guessing this inlet is seized based on the piece that isn't rotating. So, if it is seized, it must mean that it must of been in this sized state before I overheated the engine (and It has been working well for 3 years in that state). With that in mind, I would think that something is clogging the line. What is a easy way to unclog this port? A coat hanger through the top? Coat hanger through the bottom?

:::MORE IN NEXT MESSAGE:::
  • BunnyPlanet169
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2010

The good news is you're not flooding

If that were functioning properly, when open it would produce a frightening amount of water that would make you (properly) question the capacity of your bilge pump.

So, it's (probably) broken. The shaft is probably sheared off inside.

The nut you point as not rotating is probably just a packing nut for the stem seal.... Here's a Hammond cut away.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BunnyPlanet169; 03-26-2017, 08:15 PM. Reason: probably
    Jeff

sigpic
    S/V Bunny Planet
    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      • Jan 2007

Bunny, the lever moves the shaft and an easy check is to remove the hose.

The second "nut" like looking thing is the packing to seal the shaft of the valve.

Worth looking into before replacing NOW. If it works OK I would change it out the next haul out for sure.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• tenders
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

I would guess you've got barnacles or a plastic grocery bag stuck to the outside of the hull preventing water from getting through the valve. Get a wooden dowel, or maybe a very long screwdriver, and run it all the way through the fitting with the valve open.

It's obviously not a great-looking fitting. When you replace the valve, I'd replace the through-hull too, AND ALSO make another donut. You can do this with wood, soaking it in epoxy after you've cut it out, or you could get a chunk of 1/4" G10 from eBay. It's a little harder to work with but you'll never worry about it rotting. The best way to attach them is to rough up the hull around the hole and use thickened epoxy, but you can also use polysulfide caulk or 3M 5200.

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
          • May 2010

It may also be clogged, but I'm still betting on broken. The OP pictures show water dribbling out in both open and closed positions. That can't be right.
          Jeff

sigpic
          S/V Bunny Planet
          1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• Clucas
            • Apr 2007

That valve shows quite a bit of corrosion and the thru-hull and backing plate shows evidence of leaking. If it were me, I'd replace as soon as practical. I wouldn't attempt to unplug it without a length of hose that extends above the waterline. You can then snake through with a coat hanger from either end. Is there a strainer on the other end? As long as the hose extends above the waterline, you'll avoid a flood. Since it's not clear the valve is actually functioning, if you manage to unplug it, you can simply clamp the hose and attach the other end to your raw water pump. If you unplug it without a hose attached, you're likely to have a real gusher and it will be very difficult (if not impossible) to re-attach the hose in the event the valve isn't functioning.

For piece of mind, I'd replace that.

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
              • May 2010

oops

Where are my manners? Welcome to the Forum, LasVegas!
              Jeff

sigpic
              S/V Bunny Planet
              1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• LasVegasSailing
                • Mar 2017

I was afraid you would say that (and the rest of my original post)

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

So, I think you might of answered a follow up question, which was going to be, is hauling it out the ONLY way to replace that fitting?

I just know that if I spend the effort/money hauling it out, i'm going to want to refinish the bottom, and that just isn't in the budget (time OR money).

I will go back with a rod and try to to see if there is something clogging the line... i did see some pieces of rubber in there (that I thought were pieces of impeller).

:::Now For The Rest Of The Post (it only allowed 4 pictures in the first post):::

The Water Pump

I knew this had to be destroyed cause of the overheat, and low and behold...it was. I was hoping someone could point out what replacement part I need to order (and do I just need the impeller, or is it advisable to purchase a kit)?

:::MORE IN NEXT MESSAGE::::
                Last edited by LasVegasSailing; 03-26-2017, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• LasVegasSailing
                  • Mar 2017

Mystery 1

Not sure what this "was" for, so if anyone has any ideas, i'm all ears.

Last picture is of the backside.

Comment

• LasVegasSailing
                    • Mar 2017

Mystery 2

Looks like this "thing" has a few bare terminals. Anyone know what this is and what is should be measuring?

Comment

• LasVegasSailing
                      • Mar 2017

Mystery 3

So this "T-Fitting" is at the end of the exhaust water tubing. Anyone know it's purpose?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comment

• LasVegasSailing
                        • Mar 2017

Clucas: Seems like it feeds straight into the raw water pump. Thanks for the tip on putting the hose on first and working it that way.... I don't panic easy, but having copious amounts of water pour into the boat might of gotten close!

Jeff: Thanks for the cutaway of the valve, and for the welcome! I would also agree it isn't functioning (since it should stop the little water it was flowing when closed).

Tenders: Yeah, if I need to pull it out, I would replace ALL of it! Why did this need to happen the same time both of our cars need repairs as well?!?

Comment

• Al Schober
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jul 2009

I'll take a guess on those 3:
                          #1 is electrical, probably feed to an autopilot.
                          #2 is an oil pressure safety switch, necessary with electrical fuel pumps. It shuts off power to the fuel pump when the engine stops.
                          #3 is a swing check valve. When working, it keeps water from flowing forward in the exhaust line.

Did you get that ball valve cleared?

Comment

• LasVegasSailing
                            • Mar 2017

Last Bit

The Shaft

Was replacing the stuffing box flax and noticed some smooth spots and build up wanted to see what you guys thought of it.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                              • Nov 2008

Assuming the ball valve is struck in the open position you should be able to clear it by attaching length of hose to it long enough to reach above the waterline, supporting the hose upright, and running a piece of rebar down through it.
                              I would consider this to be stop gap and temporary. You really need to replace the valve and visually see what is going on with the (apparent) blockage. The strainer outside the hull may be plugged up. Maybe the yard will do a short haul.
                              A boat is a hole in the water into which one throws money. Welcome to the forum and the joy of boat ownership. For some, you don't buy a boat you get married to them. I dare say there may be a few such folks that are members of this forum!

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
                              X