• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pearson1973
    Frequent Contributor
    • Aug 2017

Used a camera

I used a camera to see the propeller was not fouled. I have readjusted the clutch a second time and now if I hold the selector down real hard the boat will very slowly starts to move backwards. So I asked the previous owner to reverse her and see if she felt any different and the comments were "seems just like I recall).

I have not really found the problem or problems but the boat does move in reverse again , just not very well at all.
    Maybe its time to fit an outboard incase the original engine fails and for when I need a little extra power in reverse.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Remember that in reverse you need many more RPM's than in forward with a direct drive. They have a 1.3 reduction. Also in reverse expect some trans noise when reversing hard. And you have no reverse without holding against the lever, you are the clutch holding mechanism.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Agree with Dave, it really wails in reverse. Do you have a tachometer?
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• roadnsky
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by pearson1973 View Post
          ..Nothing has changed, the last time I docked I put her into reverse to stop and the thrust was strong and what I had come to expect.

...if I hold the selector down real hard the boat will very slowly starts to move backwards.
          Something is going on if it had "strong thrust" before and now it doesn't.

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          Let's make absolutely sure the cable jacket is securely mounted at both ends.
          I checked the cable was secure down in the engine compartment but did not check the other end that connects to the selector handle.
          Did you check the other end of the cable yet?
          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
          sigpic
          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Clucas
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by pearson1973 View Post
            I used a camera to see the propeller was not fouled. I have readjusted the clutch a second time and now if I hold the selector down real hard the boat will very slowly starts to move backwards. So I asked the previous owner to reverse her and see if she felt any different and the comments were "seems just like I recall).

I have not really found the problem or problems but the boat does move in reverse again , just not very well at all.
            Maybe its time to fit an outboard incase the original engine fails and for when I need a little extra power in reverse.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.
            It doesn't take much growth to cause the prop to cavitate and lose effectiveness. A couple barnacles could do it -- doesn't have to look like The Great Barrier Reef. A little growth or a couple barnacles will cause the prop to lose its 'bite' on the water and significantly reduce your thrust. Still suggest getting in the water (or paying someone else to do it if you're not comfortable) to check it out. What could look clean on a camera may not be so clean when checked out by hand. Wear gloves and bring a scraper. If you're paying someone, have them clean the bottom while they're at it -- you'll get better sailing performance, too.

Tell us about your prop. 2 or 3 blade? Folding prop or fixed?
            Last edited by Clucas; 08-18-2017, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X