X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry in Maine
    • Dec 2018

Gas Fume Detector

I have an old Xintex MB-1 gas fume sensor that has died. I'm not sure it ever worked. I run my blowers for 5 minutes and sniff for fumes before starting my A-4. So I am wondering if i need a sensor. If I do, has anyone had any experience with the Safe-T- Alert Marine Detector. It's much cheaper than the Xintex. Thanks.
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Larry,
    My power boat came with one of those too. The PO said it never worked, and when he inquired with Xintex they said the model I have had been obsolete a long time, and it might be the same model you have.
    Your nose is the best sniffer! I actually open up the engine hatches and sniff BEFORE I turn on the blower, and there is nothing wrong with sniffing the blower exhaust either. If the blower is removing gas fumes, there is a problem.
    One of the other things I did on my sailboat was made sure the exhaust side hose (where the blower sucks from) was all the way down under the engine near the bilge...originally it did not go far enough forward, so I extended the hose. My powerboat blower hoses terminate (hover) about 1" above the bilge floor just in front of the engines and near the fuel tanks.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X