• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Higs
    Frequent Contributor
    • Oct 2013

leak at temp sender

Hi
    I have a leak at the temp sender. a small drip.
    I can get the sender out but am not able to tighten when it goes back in.
    It is stripped i believe (not totally).. The nut that it goes into is very rusted (larger 1/2") any suggestions on how to stop the drip??
    Also do i need the smaller one inside the other or can I just get a 1/2 npt sensor and screw it in? (assuming I get old nit out)
    any help or advice would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Last edited by Higs; 05-10-2014, 12:41 PM.
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Cehck this first!

First welcome to the forum.

What you probably have is an iron reducer in the block. There is no hex in the block unless a reducer was added. Common practice with 3/8" senders. The problem is that they should use bronze.

Take a closer look at what may be a fitting in the block. It will probably need to be removed if indeed that is the case.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Higs
      Frequent Contributor
      • Oct 2013

Hi Dave
      Thanks.. I took out the iron fitting/reducer.
      It crumbled into pieces (so came out easy).
      I used a magnet to get out as much as possible.
      I found a replacement sender at the local marine store with the 1/2" thread. This was a one piece replacement (to fit in larger hole) and should be able to go right in the old hole without having 2 pieces to thread.
      Are all the senders the same.? I am assuming that they are and it will work with my gauge.
      Thanks,
      Tom

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        • Jan 2007

Chase it

Senders can be various sizes and should be matched with the gage. Particular gages require particular resistance.
        You can get a cheap pipe tap and freshen up those in the block without much fuss and then the threads should be fine.
        If you know what your gage is you may find a suitable sender with 1/2" threads. If not a nice new gage and sender may e in our future.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Higs
          Frequent Contributor
          • Oct 2013

Im gonna try out the sender I have and see if ot works with the gauge.
          Ill let you know how it works.
          Thanks for your input!

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            • Jan 2007

It'll work but

Higs, the sender will probably work but ma not be scaled properly, se if you can find the resistance numbers and get the correct one. Post the name and model someone on this site may just know.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Higs
              Frequent Contributor
              • Oct 2013

Resistance of the sender or the gauge. The gauge is a S W (stuart warner)
              Thanks

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                • Jan 2007

Call 'em

Both they need to match. The temp scale and or model of the SW gage would lead you top the correct sender. Try SW themselves, customer service test.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

The common US standard (including Stewart Warner) temperature gauge resistance is 240Ω - 33Ω. Any sender of that specification should give you an accurate reading gauge. The standard Stewart Warner single station temp sender is model #280EA.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• edwardc
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Higs View Post
                    Hi
                    I have a leak at the temp sender. a small drip.
                    I can get the sender out but am not able to tighten when it goes back in.
                    It is stripped i believe (not totally).. The nut that it goes into is very rusted (larger 1/2") any suggestions on how to stop the drip??
                    Also do i need the smaller one inside the other or can I just get a 1/2 npt sensor and screw it in? (assuming I get old nit out)
                    any help or advice would be appreciated
                    Thanks
                    If your new sender doesn't work out, here's something else to try.

A few years back, when faced with a similar problem, I made a replacement adapter. I bought a 1/2" bushing, and drilled out and tapped the center to 3/8". I found one at the local hardware in brass, but McMaster-Carr has them in bronze:

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
                    @(^.^)@ Ed
                    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X