• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PPin
    • Aug 2022

raw water strainer with Oberdorfer pump

Hi all,

I just installed a raw water strainer and I have an Oberdorfer water pump.

I'm assuming the Oberdorfer pump is not as powerful as the "newer" models and I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with their O. pumps drawing water through a strainer?
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Check the seal on the strainer. You may need to prime the pump by filling the strainer. Once you get the water moving you should be just fine.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      • Jan 2007

Pt II

I just noticed on another post you have worked on the pump. It to must have a good seal on the face plate. And did you lube the "new?" impeller and check to see that it was ABSOLUTELY the correct width. If it does not fit snugly side to side it will not draw water and if it does you will have little pressure and/or flow.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• PPin
        • Aug 2022

Thank you Dave, indeed, it is the right size impeller, is very tight to the walls of the pump and i gave it some good grease!

Talking about grease, should the area of the shaft that gets the grease from the cup be full of grease or just lubed up a little from a few twists of the cup?

I'll make sure to prime the strainer!

Thanks again.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          • Jan 2007

Yes fill the strainer and any lines you can, it will help to get the water flowing. Be sure the fittings and clamps are good and secure before starting.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• PPin
            • Aug 2022

Quick update

Started the motor on the hard yesterday and it all seems good! Although here in ottawa canada our launch date has been delayed due to flooding hazzard.

Thanks for the support!

Comment

Working...
            X