X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • venelin
    • Oct 2021

water pump impeller replacement

Hi guys, replaced the rubber impeller in the water pump but have a hard time reistalling the snap ring on the shaft. Not sure what it does. The impeller is well contained axially between the bottom and the cover. Do I really need this snap ring? Here is a pic of the troublesome snap ring.
    Attached Files
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

First welcome to the MMI forum.

The snap ring does not hold the impeller it holds the shaft from backing into the drive dogs causing big problems possibly. IE the snap ring holds the location of the shaft not the other way.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• venelin
      • Oct 2021

Thought this might be the case; thank you. Normally, the shaft is axially located without relying on the oftern removed impeller.

Comment

• zellerj
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2005

I have not used the snap ring for 20 years with no issues.
        Jim Zeller
        1982 Catalina 30
        Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• Wisakedjack
          • May 2015

I would like to add my 5 cents here. I always pull out impeller with the shaft. Even though I have great engine access on my Catalina 30, I find it totally impossible to take out or put in snap ring. Using pliers did not help.
          Alex
          1976 Catalina 30
          Perth Amboy, NJ

Comment

• Indy
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by zellerj View Post
            I have not used the snap ring for 20 years with no issues.
            Interesting- this is OK? I derive pleasure out of sitting there with a pocket full of retainer rings, shooting them across the cabin, into the water, in my eye. Finally, I learned the right tool for the job makes this a ten second task. But if I don't need to use it, I'd surely give it up. As it stands, I am loathe to deviate one iota from the routine of my predecessor, who handed this engine over to me in pristine condition.

Comment

• Sam
              Afourian MVP
              • Apr 2010

Fyi Moyer sells special size snap ring tool for this job and it makes it very easy and I recommend it. Possible to find elsewhere - have another generic that has three different insert prongs depending on snap ring size. Little flimsey but it works as well.

Comment

Working...
              X