• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RGoeke
    Frequent Contributor
    • Aug 2007

Melted Coil Wires

Don, it's been a while since you helped me out. Probably a good 10 years which says a lot to your advice on head gaskets, frozen valves, and waterlift exhausts, not to mention bs'ing wit you about Spads. Here's my problem: My coil wires burned up on me while I was blowing out the engine and had the ingition switch on. Luckily no fire. I pulled the coil and check it on my old Ford Mustang. It's dead and I'm hoping it ends there with a dead coil and smoked wires. I'm thinking the problem was simply the 30 year old wiring from my ignition switch to the coil was providing too much resistance and finally burned up taking the coil with it along with the negative wire to the points? What do you think? Thanks and all the best! Rob
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Rob,

Good to hear from you again, and even better to hear that your electrical issue didn't have more dire consequences. Replacing the wiring is naturally a good thing, but I'd follow up by adding a 20 amp fuse in the circuit leading from the IGN terminal on your ignition switch to the positive of the coil; the closer to the ignition switch, the better.

Don

Comment

Working...
    X