X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick_Powers
    • Dec 2008

Prop Shaft Bearing

While not necessarily engine related, I believe this is still of interest.

I just finished a haul out and bottom paint on my Catalina 27.

While on the blocks we discovered that the prop shaft bearing (external to the hull) was worn and needed to be replaced.

Luckily the yard had the right tool, a special hydraulic extracter that did the removal in just a few minutes. New bearing was then installed.

Much less wobbly prop shaft.

A job that can only be done on the hard.

I'm glad it's over! See the photos at:

Rick Powers
    Palo Alto, CA
    1976 Catalina 27
  • Mike Jenkins
    • Jun 2006

Thanks for the pictures Rick. Your method systems to have gone smootly. Ive spent 6 hours so far on trying to get my stern bearing out. Unfortunately the stern bearing holder is against the stern post and is connected to the stern tube so I'm trying to cut the brass portion of the tube 4" inside a 1-1/4" diameter hole. I removed the A$engine and shaft last fall and noted a slightly worn cutless bearing by wiggling the shaft. There was some minor play 1/8" in each ditrection. I committted my shelf when I cut through the rubber and starterd to remove the brase by cutting it. A fews taps of a cutting chisel has the tube split and its twisted up inside. Its now loose but not ready to ease out yet. I now need to remove a few more pieces of the the brass to reduce its size for removal. It was easier to remove the engine from the boat last fall than to get this bearing out.

I wonder if there is a tool that can be inserted through the inside of the tube and grip the inboard end to extract out the back of the cutless bearing holder?

regards,

Mike

Comment

• Rick_Powers
      • Dec 2008

Prop Bearing Removal

Hi Mike,

If you contact "Svensens Marine" in Alameda, CA, they can tell you all about it.

They used a sleeve and a hydraulic press to move it out with the shaft in place.

It sounds like you have a mangled sleeve that needs something else.

I had excellent service and free advice. You can get good free advice too.

-Rick
      Rick Powers
      Palo Alto, CA
      1976 Catalina 27

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Almost any yard should have the expertise/equipment to help with removal of the cutlass bearing...They are a pain (the yard and the cutlass bearing!), but a necessary evil.

I have not had to replace mine yet...a fellow boat owner told me the check is to wiggle the shaft and hopefully see no movement. I have another friend that is replacing his cutlass bearing, and upon installation of the new one the yard realized the shaft/engine was out of alignment...probably causing the failure of the cutlass bearing itself, so now he has to get it aligned before the new bearing is installed.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• roadnsky
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Here is one of the best Cutlass Bearing Replacement "How To's" I have seen.
          Complete with lots of photos.
          Last edited by roadnsky; 05-06-2012, 12:39 PM.
          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
          sigpic
          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• osvaldo
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
            Here is one of the best Cutlass Bearing Replacement "How To's" I have seen.
            Complete with lots of photos.
            Where is the "How To's" and photos?

Comment

• Loki9
              • Jul 2011

Looks like he forgot the link. I'm guessing he was directing you here.
              Jeff Taylor
              Baltic 38DP

Comment

Working...
              X