• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcarter024
    • Jun 2022

Engine Starts Up No Problem, Then Sputters and Dies

Hi All,

I'm a new sailor with a 1977 Islander with an Atomic IV.

I've learned a lot about the Atomic IV and this forum has been tremendously helpful for someone like me, who's new to sailing, and even newer to diagnosing engine issues.

I bought this boat in February this year and have spent a lot of time learning about the engine, as well as learning how to sail. The engine is in fairly decent shape, from what I've heard from more experienced sailors that have seen it.

A couple months back, I was instructed to replace the distributor cap, rotors, ignition coil, spark plugs. Engine has been running much better since then.

However, I took it out last week and engine sounded a little off, wasn't purring like it has been. I motored out of the harbor and didn't make it far before the engine kinda sputtered and died. I tried to get it to start up again, and it did each time, but after 30 seconds or so, died again. Wouldn't stay on. Ended up having to get towed back into the slip.

Because of the way it started up easy each time, leads me to believe it's not a spark issue but a fuel issue. I could be wrong, obviously, but it seemed to have no problem starting up. Almost sounded fuel-starved. Fuel filter is a month or so old. I looked for any fuel line issues, but I'm new to this and so I figured someone else might be able to point me in the right direction.

I filmed a small clip of the engine here:

Appreciate any insight!

Matt
  • TimBSmith
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2020

Video did not load for me.

Tried link. No joy.
    Tim Smith
    Oasis
    Pearson 30
    1974, Number 572
    Boston, MA USA

Comment

• mcarter024
      • Jun 2022

Oops. I'm as new to YouTube as I am to sailing, it appears. Just updated the link. Should work now.

Comment

Working...
      X