X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brimikeg
    • May 2021

Cylinder stamps

I'm in the beginning of an engine rebuild I noticed the cylinders have 010 stamped on them and they have no dimple in the center, I assumed they were .010 oversized. Then I was cleaning the old head gasket off the block and I noticed 010 is stamped on the top of the block too. Does this mean the cylinders are original to this block and standard size?
  • Brimikeg
    • May 2021

Photos

These are the photos
    Attached Files

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

A few better pictures might give some more clues, but Im surmising that your block was "remaned" in a shop where it was practice to stamp the block with the new oversize numbers.

The the texture on the gasket surface looks like a fly-cutter surfacer was used in a rebuild. If so, that is another indicator of a rebuild.
      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

It is common to see .005, .010, .020 and .030 on oversize pistons. It is not all that common to mark the block however I have seen it done on many occasions on marine and duty rated engines. It's a nice touch for future tear down information.

You should be very careful checking the crank if you tear down that far as the crank may of been reground and will require the appropriate bearing shell.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• lat 64
          Afourian MVP
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post

You should be very careful checking the crank if you tear down that far as the crank may of been reground and will require the appropriate bearing shell.

Dave Neptune
          Ditto!. I was gonna say that too. I found my A-4 had a .010" undersized(reground) crank but the shop that rebuilt it for the PO used standard bearings in it. I had about twelve thousanths oil clearance for the rods and main bearings. It had pretty poor oil pressure

Always pay attention to what Dave says about machine work.
          Last edited by lat 64; 03-17-2022, 12:27 PM.
          sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

Working...
          X