• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jarod
    • Sep 2006

Rusted coupling

Hi All,

I have an ericson 27 which needs stuffing box servicing...the packing gland is so close to the coupling that the coupling needs to be removed to service...I had a mechanic look at it today and it is so rusted with rounded over bolts etc..that the mechanic tells me the only way this thing is coming off is if we pull the engine from the boat...looking at a $2000 bill to pull motor get coupling off and install new one...is there any way to get the coupling off the motor without a cutting torch and pulling the motor??? please help..
  • anglosax
    • Oct 2006

engine out?

Hi,
    I know all boats have different configurations but someone built it so it will come apart!
    I suggest that the engine needs to be moved forwards by unbolting the mounts and all hoses/connections and then you should have enough room to get at the coupling/gland. Theres no easy way to remove rusted bolts- grinders,saws, flames and lots of patience may all be required .
    I sympathize with your mechanic who clearly doesnt want a fiddily job but $2000 for an engine pull is $1000 too much
    Its a boat... what can possibly go wrong.....?

Comment

Working...
    X