• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Some perspective

Getting a number of gasoline powered boats ready to support a recent race, conversation turned to maintenance issues and I was amazed at the number of relatively new outboard powered boats that either were missing with engine issues, had recently got out of the shop for same., or were presently running poorly.
    We are doing OK with the A4 fleet considering they are all antiques at this point .
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Joe, were they mostly the 4 strokes? And how did the "E-tech's fair?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

That's the difference between an engine that was designed and built to sell and an engine that was designed and built to last.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

There's much to be said about regular preventive maintenance properly done.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Easy Rider
          Afourian MVP
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          There's much to be said about regular preventive maintenance properly done.
          And simplicity
          Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

I think they are all 4-strokes. For a modern outboard, step 1 is to connect a computer to it.
            The #1 issue seems to be ethanol created issues. Speaking of which, I just bought a new chain saw and the salesman reminded me the warranty does not cover ethanol problems and to only use the canned gas sold for lawn equipment.
            I have three outboards right now and all are 2 strokes. They have proven quite reliable and easy to maintain.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
              The #1 issue seems to be ethanol created issues. Speaking of which, I just bought a new chain saw and the salesman reminded me the warranty does not cover ethanol problems and to only use the canned gas sold for lawn equipment.
              This comment sent me searching in my 4 stroke Honda outboard owner's manual. Blends that preserve the warranty are:
              10% ethanol
              15% MTBE
              5% methanol

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
              I think they are all 4-strokes. For a modern outboard, step 1 is to connect a computer to it
              . . . then you'd better get a computer if you plan on maintaining it yourself. I have one for my vehicles, makes things pretty easy. Repairs on my truck over the past few years the computer pointed directly to were a throttle position sensor (I replaced the entire throttle body including the sensor) and a mass airflow sensor. Check engine light popped on, I connected the scanner and diagnosis was complete. Took about 30 seconds. I'm proud to report my truck has 413,000 miles on the original engine. It purrs like a kitten and doesn't even drip.
              Last edited by ndutton; 09-23-2017, 11:06 AM.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
              X