X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gspeckma
    • Oct 2012

Coolant hoses

Are all of the A-4 water coolant hoses the same size? I noticed I had two "varieties" on my A-4. The hoses running from the inlet to the pump, pump to T fitting and from the manifold to the exhaust canister where what appeared to be standard issue 1/2" rubber coolant hoses but the short pieces from the T fitting on the side of the block to the T-stat and from the T-stat to the manifold seemed to be different. When I took them off they had a small wire running through them. I want to replace all of the hoses on the A-4 and just want to make sure I don't need some sort of special cooling hose for these two areas. Thanks in advance, Gary.
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Standard

gs, there just standard "heater hose". You can get the Goodyear silicone type which is far stronger and lasts much longer. It is a bit more expensive but not reall necessary at all. I used the silicone variety on mine as the silocone will make the tighter turns I requires in my set up. Besides I had some left from a hot rod project available too.

Be sure the hoses are correct for the barbs and visa-versa.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      • Nov 2008

Regular heater hose is "stock" when the engine was shipped from the factory.
      I use the more fancy "marine grade" hose that I get at the local marine store. It seems to be a bit thicker and takes a bend better without crimping - but maybe it's just my imagination at work.
      Wire reinforced hose is not necessary.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        • Nov 2008

Another idea.
        Since you are re plumbing it would be a good opportunity to change the water flow and feed the manifold from its low end. This is called the THATCH modification. Search the forum by the word THATCH and read all about it.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

I've personally upped all of the hose in my cooling system to 5/8" ID. It is not too hard to find 3/8" NPT to 5/8" hose barbs (water pump & t-stat housing) & easy to find 1/2" NPT to 5/8" barbs (manifold). Also cast bronze street elbows are much less restrictive of flow than a machined part with a sharp 90° bend.

We've had extensive discussion on this site regarding this subject..you will likely find some of it in the "thatch modification" thread.

Here is one of them - http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4959

Here is a great picture of the modifcation in this thread..http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7076
          Last edited by sastanley; 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X