View Single Post
  #2   IP: 134.41.89.226
Old 01-03-2021, 10:41 AM
Afourian MVP

My thoughts.

I'd consider a few things. These are my thoughts and what I'd have as priority.

-Good Chartplotter, AIS (receiver ability at least), DSC radio
-Freshwater cool that engine. Spare coil, spare plugs and electronic ignition. Keep in mind you can still get your hands on spare parts. If the engine is running well, has good compression ratio etc I would not allow the fact that it's an atomic 4 be an determining factor.
- Ensure all thru hulls, standing and running rigging are good, decent sails. No maybes.
-Good Solar Power system and decent battery bank that can handle a refrigeration unit. Talk to someone very knowledgeable about that.
- Bimini (yours looks good) for shade in the cockpit...a must. If the boat set up allows you may be able to mount solar panels there.
- Inflatable dinghy and good motor for it.
- Water maker.

One of the most underestimated things about cruising is electric power consumption and the ability to keep your gear running. These days, I think solar power is the best. 30 foot boat is OK for two people but one needs to consider the cash going into the boat to make it a self sufficient cruiser. Otherwise you would always need to be hanging out in places that can resupply you and that adds up to cash in the Caribbean as well.

Engine maintence on trip:
15w40 motor oil, change 50 hrs interval
Raw water pump, ensure grease cap turned every 3 hrs running and bring extra in a small tub.
If Freshwater / heat exchanger cooled always check reservoir level before firing it up daily.
Get in the habit of listening to the water batching out the transom and be keenly aware of the sound...when it stops you will know.
Get in the habit of glancing head on a swivel, sails (if up), ahead, to stb, to prt, behind, look at gauges. |
A good socket set, wrenches, wiring kit...just in case.
The few spares I mentioned above.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 01-03-2021 at 06:19 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mo For This Useful Post:
jmupstate (01-03-2021), TimBSmith (01-03-2021)