• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anglosax
    • Oct 2006

Valve lifter adjustment

Hi Don and all contributors
    Heres a stupid question - Im sure not the last from me!
    I need to adjust the valve tapets but cannot figure out which is the exhaust/inlet valve for each respective cylinder - I know I could figure it out eventually from the header manifold but access is poor from that side and I can barely see what Im doing. So who has the magic numbers from 1-8 exhaust and inlet? Also am I right in my calculations that 10 and 12 thou inch = 0.250 and 0.310 mm respectively?
    thanks
    Its a boat... what can possibly go wrong.....?
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Anglosax,

The arrangement of valves is as follows:

The valve at each end of the engine is an exhaust valve. Then working in from each end toward the center, there are two intake valves, and then two exhaust valves (in the center of the engine).

As further clarification, the valves line up in each cylinder as follows from the flywheel end of the engine:

Cylinder number 1 - exhaust/intake, cylinder number 2 - intake/exhaust, cylinder number 3 - exhaust/intake, and cylinder number 4 - intake/exhaust.

For purposes of determining the arrangement of valves as viewed through the spark plug holes, the valves that are visible directly under each spark plug hole are intake valves.

Your metric equivalents appear very close by my chart.

Don

Don

Comment

Working...
    X