• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capnward
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2012

have clip, but have yet to install it

For years now I have had in a drawer one of those spring clips. I got it from the guys at Moyer, they don't usually sell them but had one lying around the shop. I noticed that mine was missing, maybe it broke and is in the bottom of the gearbox, but I couldn't find it. In the meantime I just Jerry-rigged a thick electrical wire from the bolt through the holes in the nut, and it seems to hold it in place well enough. Maybe that's why the nut has holes. Shortly after when I first got the boat 20 years ago, there was no reverse or neutral, that's when I discovered the clip was missing.
    Someday I will get around to the proper installation.

Comment

• randoo
      • Aug 2013

DaveNeptune in is previous post on this thread, suggested we have to hold the shifter in reverse, but in forward it detents and holding it is not required.
      That is a very clumsy sentence, but I have never heard nor read that the A4 needs to be "held" in reverse. If true, that explains my problems with reverse!!!!

Comment

• marthur
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2004

It is definitely true that you have to hold the reverse lever to ensure that the motor stays in reverse. There is no reverse detent.
        Mike

Comment

• randoo
          • Aug 2013

Thanks for the reply, I feel like an idiot, I have been cussin" that reverse "gear" for ever. I thought it was an adjustment issue and I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten "under the hood". I did notice that if I hold the shift lever in reverse, it reverses, like coming into my slip.

It never occurred to me that was normal, and I needed to hold it back to keep it in reverse.

Don, maybe you should remind everybody of this????

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

There is no detent - but if the brake band is adjusted properly you should not have to "hold" it in reverse.

Comment

• randoo
              • Aug 2013

Thanks, 67c&ccorv! All my Moyer manuals are at the boat, but quick question, do you have a source for instructions on adjusting the brake band?

Thank you, Randy

Comment

• randoo
                • Aug 2013

to all, I found the adjustment procedure on-line.

Thx, Randy

Comment

Working...
                X