Running well but burning oil... to rebuild or not to rebuild...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charles@pricefarrington.c
    • Aug 2008

No tac so not sure the rpms but the engine runs at a higher rpm for sure. After I put on the indigo, I re-timed it and was able to boost the rpms for cruising. Mine is 29' and we tow a 10' dingy with a 9hp outboard. I know it is a big drag. We get about 6kts in slack tide. We have not been on long trips without the dingy.
    74' Ranger 29

Comment

• Marian Claire
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2007

Dave: You commented on a pic I posted of my early model and correctly identified the filter as a Fram C-4. Is that the one you are thinking of? http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4010 Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• ArtJ
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by riphonda View Post
        Dave, I have actually run the motor for about ten minutes with full on mystery oil (at idle rpms) in an attempt to free up the carbon and this has had no effect on the oil burning. I understand this is a controversial thing to do... It still smokes all the same. I am running an NGK BR6 plug. Plugs are all the same, very light brown and never black and sooty. They appear dry and not wet with oil. I am using a non detergent 30 weight pennzoil oil. Should I switch?

I dont have compression numbers on hand, but I will try and get a hold of them next time I get out to the motor.

Hanley and Russ, I have been lucky that the motor is as dependable as it is, when we did the delivery there was almost no cooling water coming through due to growth in the intake scoop and the motor ran at around 210 degrees for a portion of the ride. Having no past experience with this engine, I decided that like most other gasoline engines this was within spec... maybe that did me in. But the motor was completely unreliable and got us out into long island sound and then died almost on cue (I think it was a "wow the engine seems to run well..."). After four carb cleanings only ran for a total of ten minutes more for a total of 230 miles of the trip. So Im happy with the reliability thus far after doing some upgrading and cleaning her up.

Additionally, there is no oil seepage into the bilge- i do see the transmission cover is bleeding a little bit, but not quite dripping at all so its not a significant source of oil seepage.

I am contemplating doing the swap with one of don's shortblocks but that is another idea altogether. Thank you all much for the thoughts.
        Ten minutes is not sufficent to be running pure mystery oil. Don Moyer
        recommends running it at idle a couple of hours a day for a week or so to free
        rings.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Filter side bar

Dan, thanx for the reply. I couldn't remember whose boat I saw it on, anyway are you using it as a full flow or a bypass?

riphonda, let the MMO or two stroke work for a while. I have heard of this working but never tried it myself, so here goes. Turn the engine until all the pistons are at about mid stroke and get a can of carb spray. Use a can or two and spray all of the contents into the cylinders and let it sit for a while. Most will run past the rings after sitting and the oil control rings are at the bottom. Place a towel or a set of them over the engine and spin the lil beastie (this is the messy part) on the starter for a bit to get the cleaner out of the cylinders~~and start the engine and let it run for about 10~15 minutes at a hi idle. THEN CAHNGE THE OIL as the carb cleaner will screw it up a bit. A few of my tinkerig buddies who do restoring say this works well to free oil rings albeit messy.

Patience patience, it took a long time to get stuck and will take time to unstick.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• riphonda
            • Feb 2009

Carb cleaner etc

Thanks for the idea with the carb cleaner Dave, I will give that a try most likely when we're in the offseason at this point. I'll also take care to use a detergent oil with some mmo during my changes.

The patience idea is something I am having to get used to but I like this strategy: use the motor and take the correct steps to free the rings before getting serious about the rebuild. I guess that is why I posted the thread in the first place. You guys have alot more wisdom than I do.

All in all this is a great motor and a great group of enthusiast as well. Besides the oil burning I'm in good shape. As far as other projects, I would also like to rewire the motor this winter and organize everything. My motor has the typical atomic 4 ball of miscellaneous wires running every which way. Now which way to that new thread button...

Thanks again.

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

riphonda....now we are getting somewhere...

Patience..if it runs, use it...however, understand with patience, we can expect it to run better .

As Dave mentioned, it takes time to undo the neglect..but they are resilient...give her a pat on the head every time she gets you safely back to the slip and she will continue to serve you.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• Marian Claire
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2007

Dave: I do not know. The line from the bottom of the filter canister runs to the block just below the center of the manifold. The line from the side, about 2/3 up, of the canister runs to the block about 3-4” below the other line. ????? Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

Working...
                X