• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Raw water route

Since there is not much going on, I thought I'd post this. I did a re-route of my raw water cooling. I got much more stable temp "readings" and better control of my operating temps.

Comments or questions?

Dave Neptune

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aug 12 010.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	205755
  • ronstory
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2016

I did something similar when I installed the indigo thermostat housing. I notice that I would get a hot spot on the flywheel side of manifold. In the ensuring OCD episode and bunch of measurements and jiggering thing around I figured out I had a bit of an air bubble at the entry elbow. Don't ask how I figured it out, it was not proud moment... but may be a notable entry into the OCD hall of farm, err, ah shame.

Since our motors slope back (except for the v-drives) the coolant was having to push down to reach the rear of the manifold. So I reversed the hoses and with careful sloping of the coolant lines to the heat exchanger I no longer have a hot spot.

Dave--

Where does your former by-pass hose route to?

Did you use stainless nuts to hold down the head?
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Portland, OR

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      • Jan 2007

Ron, yes those are stainless nuts on the head. That head was redone in 1984 when I bought the boat. The engine was seized so I needed to remove the head to "KNOCK" the pistons loose. The nuts sit on thick stainless washers and the head was "floated" on with a single gasket and Aviation Grade Permatex, it's still running. The head was painted at that time and the pic is from around 2010.

The bypass line is routed to the manifold. I did this as running without a t-stat the bypass (cold water) was being introduced in very close proximity to the temp sender. I found this gave a false reading as to true block temps. Note the valve handle hiding near the aft manifold fitting. I used a "Y" type tee to insert the water "after" the block.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ronstory
        Afourian MVP
        • Feb 2016

Cool, I'm still puzzling the surface roughness of the block in the other thread

So you only used one gasket and mounted with the permatex #3. Did you have any issues with compression?

I kept a redirection/bypass valve in my system but it's used for changing coolant. I went electric for the cooling pump so I can now just open the HX cap, add a hose to the stub on the valve, turn the valve and then pump out all the coolant is less than minute. Then can I open lower tube to get last bit of coolant out of the block but I often just skip that step since I change the coolant every year... because it's easy.
        Thanks,
        Ron
        Portland, OR

Comment

• roadnsky
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ronstory View Post
          I did something similar when I installed the indigo thermostat housing. I notice that I would get a hot spot on the flywheel side of manifold.

Since our motors slope back (except for the v-drives) the coolant was having to push down to reach the rear of the manifold. So I reversed the hoses and with careful sloping of the coolant lines to the heat exchanger I no longer have a hot spot.
          Ron-
          Give this old thread a read... The THATCH Mod
          Last edited by roadnsky; 04-20-2020, 10:18 AM.
          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
          sigpic
          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            • Jan 2007

Jerry, ah the infamous UHS. A great thread.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• roadnsky
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

Yeah, good times.
              As long as we're tripping down memory lane, here are 2 more.
              And both relevant to this thread topic.
              Note the first one (UHS) has Tom's (thatch) very first post on the forum. (Post #15)

Ubiquitous Hot Spot
              Another thought on cooling flow
              -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
              sigpic
              1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ronstory
                Afourian MVP
                • Feb 2016

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
                Ron-
                Give this old thread a read... The THATCH Mod
                ... and here I thought I was just eliminating an air bubble, but I was actually reinventing the wheel. ;^)

When I was first testing it used a bit of reinforced clear PVC tubing for the connection between the thermostat and the back of the manifold. It allow me to observer the flow for bubbles, and once confident got replaced with normal hose.
                Thanks,
                Ron
                Portland, OR

Comment

• Administrator
                  MMI Webmaster
                  • Oct 2004

I like the one about the "beer elites," explaining why uploaded photos are so carefully scanned for nuances.

Bill

Comment

• roadnsky
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                    I like the one about the "beer elites," explaining why uploaded photos are so carefully scanned for nuances.
                    my fridge is full of "Beer Elites"...
                    Attached Files
                    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                    sigpic
                    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                      • Jan 2007

Jerry, what no "craft beers" protesting?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• roadnsky
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                        Jerry, what no "craft beers" protesting?
                        Well Dave, I think the definition of a "Craft" beer is very subjective and open to discussion.
                        Here's a good case in point...
                        Attached Files
                        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                        sigpic
                        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                          • Jan 2007

Jerry, I saw the "Coors" lady. My daughter who lives in Co. was a liaison for the state in a program she headed up for UFC project. They did a history of beer in Co for the state. Way cool for a "Masters" project. I even got a few free beers if I wanted.

I also lived in Amsterdam back in the late 60's for a while, after being stuck there for a friends constantly postponed wedding, I was best man.. Any way I lived with the brides family on the outskirts of Amsterdam just 2 blocks from a Heiniken warehouse. That was fantastic and really cheap buying direct, a case was about .18 cents US at the time per bottle if you exchanged the empties with the wooden box. Don't remember the cost if no bottles were returned or broken, however the box was far more than the beer. I don't remember the deposit on the box but it was far more than the beer.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
                          X