• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Routine

Mo, good point on consistancy with a routine. To absolutely force me to sniff myself , I store my "key" on the water valve under my beastie. I also start the engine whenever it has set without me aboard by opening the "box" and using my permanently mounted remote start switch in the box for initial "cold" starts, by working the controls by hand "on the engine". When she gets lit I can also check for leaks before closing up and finishing the warm-up for a safe departure.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• toddster
      • Aug 2011

Come to think of it, I did not run the blower either of the last two times I launched the boat.

Penultimate launch. From the fuel dock. I actually had a small fuel spill in the cockpit due to clogged vent and was busy packaging the containment absorbant. Engine off. And the attendant cast off the bow line and shoved us out into the current. It was either start instantly or crash into another boat.

Warning: Do not use drugs while dispensing fuel.

Last launch. On the way to the haul-out. Started up the blower and it seized. When I was down in the sail locker, I just looked at it, reached up to touch it, and it fell on my head. It lived just long enough to get us through the year.

Not that the hoses turned out to be connected to anything. It appears that the original intent was that a hose ran from the engine compartment to the exhaust blower at a cowl vent. An intake hose ran from another cowl vent to the other side of the engine compartment. This left the fuel filter and the batteries outside the vented space. Since I'm replacing the whole shebang, I suppose I should sit in the boat, have a beer, and ponder the best way to do it. Anyway, I'm moving the fuel filter to inside the engine compartment. Oh, also I left the new blower off the house panel wired it through the engine fuse block. It was just too confusing having two switches in the circuit.

I also bought a solar exhaust fan to leave running 24/7 in the front hatch.

Edit: Looking back at this, it might make more sense if you know that all fuel in Oregon is dispensed by minimum-wage attendants. It is illegal to pump your own gas. A huge PITA.
      Last edited by toddster; 07-29-2016, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Bold Rascal
        • Mar 2011

New poll suggestion:

Do you tip your fuel dock attendant?
        Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
        1973 Pearson 33
        1967 Bristol 27
        sigpic

Comment

• Laker
          • Sep 2010

"Usually, I'll be on the boat 20 minutes or so before my wife and kids show up. "

DANGER - DANGER.

Your are training them to perceive you as the crew of a charter boat. Put them to work !!!

All kidding aside , my family more or less assumes that I will be responsible for everything. It is my goal to get everyone involved in the operation of systems , and I am making some progress ...
          1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• Antibes
            • Jun 2011

Slightly off topic but regarding the solar exhaust fan, They're awesome, installed mine in 2008. I looked at about 60 boats on the hard before purchasing mine and that feature makes a big difference in the smell of a boat. I also have a large canister style damp rid to work as De-humidfier year round.

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Antibes, +1 - And most of them use a "C" size Ni-Cd battery which is easily replaceable and available on ebay for cheap.

I have one in the middle of the foredeck (not-installed by me but since there was already a hole I put in a new one recently) and if I had a good place to put a 2nd one towards the stern I would..one would suck in and one would blow out..it makes a HUGE difference.

edit - oops...old thread..someone must have added a vote to the poll.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• Joel H.
                • Dec 2010

Daily sniff tests, and knowing that I've personally replaced and checked every fuel related item on the boat, coupled with constant attention, makes me very comfortable only running the blower before startup (I mean it is noisy!).
                I even safetywire the mainjet plug.

But then again I'm a "quasi"- motorhead, and an obsessive/compulsive, (Highly recommended for a boat owner).

Short of all that, I would be running the blower by the strictest established safety guidelines!
                Cheers,
                Joel H.

Comment

• Sailrite
                  • Sep 2015

I'm reading that people are opening the engine compartments up and then starting the engine. That seams dangerous to me. I understand venting the gas fumes if there are any but I always close the door to my engine compartment before I start the engine. I've had a Jeep start on fire and the worst thing you can do is open the hood, letting more oxygen in to "fan" the fire. Think the movie Back Draft. I put it out by shooting a fire extinguisher through the grill and up under the frame.
                  I put one of those fire ports on the door to my engine compartment so I don't have to open the door if there is a fire. Fires can also start after the motor is running. If there is a fire it will contain it. Probably wont help much in an explosion.

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

They are opening their engine compartments to sniff for gas fumes before starting, even if the blower is running. An ounce of prevention . . . .
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• romantic comedy
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2007

I always go below and open the engine hatch and sniff before I turn the key.

Comment

• The Garbone
                        • Dec 2013

Not like this guy.

Sniff and vent first.
                        Gary
                        78' Catalina 30 #1179
                        www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• romantic comedy
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2007

WOW!! Bet he wont do that again.

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Bet he does. Can't fix stupid.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California
                            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dusty1
                              • Apr 2015

My routine is to open the hatch before start up for a sniff and to open the raw water valve. I run the blower while the engine is running to take care of any fumes and to pull out heat. I am amazed at how much heat builds up on those 90 degree days during long runs.

I am a bit sensitive about gas fumes as my Dad lost a boat due to an explosion. He had lent the boat out.
                              Butch Miller
                              Lark - Americat 22

Comment

• toddster
                                • Aug 2011

I see I already replied a while back. But I actually have to start the engine from time to time without letting go of the tiller. I turn on the blower when things start looking a bit iffy (do we have enough wind to clear that bridge pylon/sandbar/oil tanker?) so the engine is available if needed. It would be nice to get out in the ocean more, away from hard things.

Comment

Working...
                                X