Clear All
  • Administrator
    MMI Webmaster
    • Oct 2004

I'm not using 7.0, but try something like this:

Tools
    Internet Options
    Click on the "General" tab.
    In the box labeled Temporary Internet Files, click on the Delete Files button, click on OK, and then click on Settings.
    At the top of the new page, click the radio button which says "Every visit to the page." Click on OK, then click on OK.
    You might try the "Automatically" option as well.

Hope this helps. If you had a similar issue tracking your stock portfolio, you may have had some painful surprises lately.

Bill

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

caching

Yup...probably a caching problem. I didn't even think about that.

We often get this with our databases at work, where people call and say they see 'old' info, when in fact IE is displaying a cached page..'every visit to the page' is the fix.

I cannot see an instance where caching would be useful in this day and age..even down here in the Southern Maryland boonies we have reasonable high speed internet via DSL for about $1/day. I usually leave the forum loaded up on my PC and walk by and whack F-5 a few times a day to refresh the main forum page and get excited when there is a new post!

Good catch Mark!
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• Mark S
        • Sep 2008

OK guys. Thanks for the tip. I changed from "automatically" to "every time I visit the page" and we'll see if that changes things.

Bill, my father, who liked to distill several days' worth of solitary thinking down into one tightly packed sentence, once announced in one such sentence, "Debt securities are better than equity securities." I pondered that for a long time and decided it was good advice.

Mark

Comment

• quiesence65
          • May 2013

US Coast Guard

We are Canadian......in the winter of 1995 we were lying at anchor in Boot Key Harbour, Marathon, Fl., enjoying ourselves and not planning any long trips, having spent a previous winter in the Bahamas. The USCG frequently boards boats there, checking for pump-out irregularities, drugs, etc. although we had never been boarded........so we were not too surprised when a CG Inflatable pulled up close by and hailed our boat......."Ahoy, Echo (the name on our boat)"....After confirming that we were who we said we were.....(We wondered how they knew our names, etc.) , they said......"Phone your mother in Stratford, Ontario, Canada.......she hasn't heard from you in a week and is worried!"..........and without further ado, wished us well and pulled away...
          We were happy and pleased.....a good experience.....and a great story!!!

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Wow - old survey zombie digs itself out of the grave

One attempt: About 300 miles east of Norfolk, at night, in 20 foot breaking seas, the USCG wanted to board us and investigate the number and type of radar sets we had.
            I informed them we had none, were open to donations, and would have to decline being boarded. I pointed out the 40-50 knot winds and breaking seas would make such an operation extremely dangerous. We were rail down with just a storm jib They decided to stay on their cutter.

One boarding: After a hurricane, we were disabled with a ripped main and engine out of commission. The rough seas had stirred up enough junk in the fuel tank to clog the carb repeatedly. (this was back in the day with the stock no filter fuel system)
            They showed up, did an inspection, wrote me up for not having a Do Not Pump Oil Overboard placard, and took the main to sailmaker and brought it back a couple of days later so we could sail home. Thanks CG!
            Last edited by joe_db; 12-23-2016, 10:15 AM.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• anian
              • Dec 2007

We were boarded only once about eight years ago motoring south through Cattle Pass between Lopez and San Juan Islands which is the busy route to and from Friday Harbor if you're coming from Seattle or other points south. They were professional but the young guys were kind of uptight while the older rating was more laid back. Everything was in order and shipshape so we didn't get written up for anything but they somehow misidentified the A-4 as a diesel engine even though the plug wires and coil were immediately visible.

Comment

• Mo
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2007

Never been boarded as such. Every year though the Canadian Coast Guard does a round to all the yacht clubs and offers free inspections. I take it every year and they put a sticker on the boat for that year. I do find that they are not probing through every little thing though, they have a checklist and go through it. They like to see things like, extra PFDs, MOB floats, larger fire extinguishers than minimum requirement, EPIRBS etc...at least they know you are thinking safety.
                Mo

"Odyssey"
                1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                The optimist expects it to change.
                The realist adjusts the sails.
                ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Jan 2007

A rescue instead of a boarding

I have been boarded 2 times in 3 tries which leads to an interesting learning experience for a young officer.

I was sailing to Catalina with just my dog the Giz. When we were about 12 miles out near the old Whiskey buoy I noticed a CG Cruiser heading my direction then slow to drop a dinghy over the side. Crap I'm going to be boarded again. I raised the CG vessel on the VHF and asked their intentions? I was told to maintain my course and speed (sailing with the A/P at about 5..5~6 kts). As the CG officer and crew approached the officer obviously a newbie was being very KRANKY while getting the CG boat along side. As he was berating the crew and with his clipboard in hand he made the step to my boat. Unfortunately the step was into clear blue water between my boat and the CG vessel. His crew responded rather well in getting the boat clear. I immediately kicked the helm over as I was close hauled which hove me to within a few yards of the officer. He yelled at the crew to come and pick him up and me to get away as I was only a few yards away and offering up a life ring. Once he was drug back into the CG boat I radioed and asked while trying to keep from laughing if I should stand by so he could complete the boarding. I got a couple of snickers on the VHF from the mother ship and was told to go ahead and continue to my destination.

Once the officer was back in the CG boat I could not keep from laughing and his crew in the dink were really "trying" to be serious. The guy literally stepped into the water between to moving vessels and his had the propeller working. Hopefully a lesson well learned as well as some humility.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• bobtookmm
                    • Dec 2012

Just an odd story. Was anchored in Boot Key harbor, Fla. last season along with hundreds (literally) of boats waiting for a window to cross to the Bahamas. Another hundred are semi permanent retirees on moorings. Rumor was that a 'raid' was pending. a couple of days latter, after dark, a fleet of Fla water police, local sheriff's craft, etc .. at least 5 boats. entered the harbor. With glaring search lights, they announced they were boarding boats. It was like a movie script of the vietnam war. My boat was pulled along side, but just as they made contact, a woman in an unlit dingy cruised by and the officers zoomed after her. They never got back to my boat but the next morning, it was determined that at least three boats anchors were dislodged by the criss crossing official craft. No one was ticketed to my knowledge and it was never clear what their purpose was. Unsettling.

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

AFAIK you can feel free to tell them to come back with a warrant. The USCG blanket search permission does not extend to local water cops.

Originally posted by bobtookmm View Post
                      Just an odd story. Was anchored in Boot Key harbor, Fla. last season along with hundreds (literally) of boats waiting for a window to cross to the Bahamas. Another hundred are semi permanent retirees on moorings. Rumor was that a 'raid' was pending. a couple of days latter, after dark, a fleet of Fla water police, local sheriff's craft, etc .. at least 5 boats. entered the harbor. With glaring search lights, they announced they were boarding boats. It was like a movie script of the vietnam war. My boat was pulled along side, but just as they made contact, a woman in an unlit dingy cruised by and the officers zoomed after her. They never got back to my boat but the next morning, it was determined that at least three boats anchors were dislodged by the criss crossing official craft. No one was ticketed to my knowledge and it was never clear what their purpose was. Unsettling.
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• Fstued
                        • Jan 2014

Yes last spring. It was really no problem looked at my papers checked all the safety gear all ws fine One problem I have 2 expensive PFDs which I pulled out to show and was not CG approved it was from England so maybe that was why. Even the Coastie said it looked like a real good one. I also had abunch of regular CG approved vests.
                        It was the 1st time I have ever been boarded after sailing for almost 60 years..

I have had ICE and Border Patrol come along side and ask where I was coming from and going to and if I was the skipper and owner. ONe time it was in the boat basin inSan Diego bay on a Sunday afternoon. I thought that was a little strange. He asked me to pull over so they could board. I said I had no motor and was under sail Then said I they wanted to follow me to my slip a 1/2 mi away they could board. He no and have anice day and hope your engine works

Comment

• wristwister
                          • Nov 2013

Boarded the summer before last in the San Juans. It was amusing, there were two USCG newbies being trained on how to board and inspect boats. They had their manuals and clip boards and were taking this boarding very seriously and trying to be as precise as possible. My crew and I could barely contain our laughter when one of these newbies asked to see our "boiler room".

Overall it was a fine experience. Our only ding was we had some expired flares in addition to the current ones.
                          "A ship in the harbor is safe ... but that's not what ships are built for.

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Not the USCG and not a boarding but several years ago I was a guest on a powerboat at Catalina. We were anchored, a couple of the guys had fishing lines in the water (no licenses of course) and the boat owner had one of the engine starters in pieces on the aft deck. A State Fish and Game officer approached, asked what we were up to. We explained our starter problems but being safely anchored and a twin engine boat we were not in any immediate danger. By the way, you might want to check out that sailboat over there. He asked why, are they fishing? No, but the ladies don't seem to like wearing bikini tops.

And he was off in their direction like a shot.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California
                            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• lat 64
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                              Not the USCG and not a boarding but several years ago I was a guest on a powerboat at Catalina. We were anchored, a couple of the guys had fishing lines in the water (no licenses of course) and the boat owner had one of the engine starters in pieces on the aft deck. A State Fish and Game officer approached, asked what we were up to. We explained our starter problems but being safely anchored and a twin engine boat we were not in any immediate danger. By the way, you might want to check out that sailboat over there. He asked why, are they fishing? No, but the ladies don't seem to like wearing bikini tops.

And he was off in their direction like a shot.
                              I keep telling my wire we need better binoculars on the boat. She asks "why ?"
                              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• toddster
                                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                                I keep telling my wire we need better binoculars on the boat. She asks "why ?"
                                I occasionally sail past not one but two nude beaches. It is vitally important to never point the binoculars in that direction. "Are those albino sea lions on that rock over there?" "Noooo..."
                                The horror.

I thought I was going to get boarded a couple of weeks ago when I was paddling my SUP along the edge of the channel, but they just followed me for a while and then took off in another direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X