X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailhog
    • Apr 2009

2dogs,
    Unfortunately I don't and the pump has already been installed. It's an easy rebuild, as the kit comes with instructions. The only step that puzzled me had to do with the seals. Once the pump was off, I had it apart and put back together within an hour. I ran the engine for half an hour after the reinstallation, and it works perfectly with no leaks.

For the record, on the MMI flange pump, the lips of both seals face the impeller side of the pump. The lettering on the seals face the flange side of the pump.

Comment

• 2dogsnight
      • Jun 2012

instructions puzzle me
      .....I am definitelly "see and than do" kind of guy...
      Your thread is very helpfull already
      Thank you Seahog

Comment

• tenders
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

Originally posted by sailhog View Post
        For the record, on the MMI flange pump, the lips of both seals face the impeller side of the pump. The lettering on the seals face the flange side of the pump.
        I don't doubt this, but could you explain it? As I understand those seals, one seals against water and the other seals against oil. If they're installed in "parallel" as you say, they aren't similarly aligned against the liquids they're sealing.

What am I missing?

Comment

• Trés 30
          • May 2014

It does seem counter intuitive,

but when has intuition gotten me anywhere?

All this (and the instructions) is saying the side of the water seal with the spring and the recess faces the impeller chamber, and so is exposed to water. It took me a while to wrap my head around this.

Here's what came out of my pump
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X