No compression on 2-4. Water in oil. Next step?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SvenTheGoose
    • Apr 2022

I have a line on a used Atomic 4 that has not yet come out of the previous boat. They are doing an electric refit. It is coming out of an Islander 28.

Anything I should check on it when see it. It will still be running (it is running today) and I am doing/helping pull her out so that should help limit/eliminate damage from the removal.

I plan to check compression and pressure test the water jacket.

What items should I remove before transport? I planned to pull:
    Carburetor
    Alternator and bracket
    Starter
    Distributor (not sure on this one, would you just tape over the whole left after removal?)

I have an Irwin 28.

Thanks All!

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Gude gneus! Does the replacement motor run? If so and the oil has no water you should be good to go. I would check the compression if you can. Disconnect what is necessary to lift out of the boat. Starter, alt, carb, manifold ( it can be a good hand hold) and distributor (if necessary).
      Drain the oil as if the engine is "tipped" forward oil will run out of the flywheel end as there is no seal!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• SvenTheGoose
        • Apr 2022

Yes, the replacement motor runs and I will check that out on the hard before we start pulling it. I did have to check for water in the oil on my checklist as well, just forgot to type it here.

Comment

Working...
        X