• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Surcouf
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2018

Originally posted by ronstory View Post
    I don't know... but the color combo seems to have worked for a few movies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KEYCHAIN-Ma...k/371261159795
    LOL... never seen any of those Marvel movies. Let's hope that the engine is as bullet proof as the movie character!
    Surcouf
    A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by thatch View Post
      Excellent looking A4. Please avoid the temptation to use the stock
      "lifting ring/alternator mount bracket" as a lifting point for re-installing your engine. The leverage factor between the large hole and the two head bolts puts enough force on the head to actually crack it in some cases. I have two heads in my A4 scrap pile that have that "injury". Some of us have actually added a small bracket, attached to that Lift/alt unit, that is supported be a third head bolt, to make it stronger. Others choose to use straps around the entire motor when it's time to do the lift.
      Tom
      Personal opinion: +1!!!!

That original lifting eye is a terrible piece of engineering, and using it is just asking for big trouble.

Bill
      Last edited by Administrator; 05-07-2020, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• Surcouf
        • May 2018

So tonight conversion of the eBay distributor from old Points to electronics. I had no real procedure here, and tried to use common sense and logic... we will see if that was a good idea...

Installing the water plate, Finding the TDC with Don M on YouTube, pouring the 5QT of oil (that was a good feeling), connecting the temporary gages (water temp and oil pressure), starter, accessory gear (temporary, I have not been able to find the right key yet), water pump, fuel pump, carburetor (untouched for now; I will mess with that if the engines runs. If it ain’t broken...). Every 10 minutes, a dent in the new paint... stay calm.

Questions:
        - the 3 studs For the manifold are not “fully engaged” in the nuts (or reverse?). I am pretty sure I did not mess up with other studs, as these 3 were packed separately by Ken. Is that a big issue?
        - for the test, should the engine be flat, or slightly tilted like in the sailboat?

Thank you!!
        PS no idea why one picture is reverse...
        Attached Files
        Surcouf

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          • Jan 2007

Testing flat is fine. If you want to mimic the angle it won't hurt and again it is not necessary.

Fair winds. _/) _/)

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

As long as the oil level reads full on the dipstick, neither low or high.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Surcouf
              • May 2018

Thank you Dave & Neil

Another question for you guys, on top of the previous one:
              - what torque should I put on the 2 thermostat housing bolts? the nut thread is backed by a pretty thin wall, and I am concerned that 35lbf is quite a lot.
              - the 3 studs For the manifold are not “fully engaged” in the nuts (or reverse?). I am pretty sure I did not mess up with other studs, as these 3 were packed separately by Ken. Is that a big issue?

Thank you
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Surcouf; 05-08-2020, 10:53 AM. Reason: Adition
              Surcouf

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

As a generic reply in the form of a question, if you cannot torque them to spec, what does that tell you?
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• Surcouf
                  • May 2018

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                  As a generic reply in the form of a question, if you cannot torque them to spec, what does that tell you?
                  not sure to understand..
                  - I was able to torque the manifold studs nuts to 25
                  - I have not tried to torque de thermostat housing nuts, as I am not fully sure of the torque. Should I go for 35 like the other head bolts?
                  Thank you
                  Surcouf

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Perhaps it was I who did not understand the question. Per the MMI Service and Overhaul Manual, page 1-9, the head nuts including the thermostat housing are sequentially torqued to 25, 30 and finally 35 ft-lbs in the torque pattern pictured. An option of 30 ft-lbs. max is mentioned if the block threads are corroded.

You are correct on the manifold studs, 25 ft-lbs.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• Surcouf
                      • May 2018

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                      Perhaps it was I who did not understand the question. Per the MMI Service and Overhaul Manual, page 1-9, the head nuts including the thermostat housing are sequentially torqued to 25, 30 and finally 35 ft-lbs in the torque pattern pictured.
                      So I have my answer, and will torque as that value. Thank you!!
                      Note: I am also under the impression that I may have a very early version MM Manual, left by a PO in the boat, without all the most recent additions.
                      Surcouf

Comment

• Surcouf
                        • May 2018

So stop at the boat today to remove the engine mount located Below the water pump, completely rusted so that I had to cut it, and both bolt heads were gone. It ended up being a very cordial discussion. I let you imagine the details of that talk through a picture...
                        Attached Files
                        Surcouf

Comment

• Surcouf
                          • May 2018

So step by step getting there....
                          - Compression test: Engine cold all 4 cylinders at 90psi, or very close.
                          - with starter, And oil cold, oil pressure around 25 psi
                          Attached Files
                          Surcouf

Comment

• Surcouf
                            • May 2018

So... heated the engine twice until 150F and torqued the head bolts to 35 lbf. But:
                            - it does not run idle at all, I have to «*hold it*» and play with starter and gas all the time to keep it from stalling. My spark plugs are quite sooty. First thing I a going to check is the TDC again with Don’s method. What else should I check?
                            - 2 of my head bolts are «*sipping water*». What should I do here? Remove these 2 nutS, add Permatex and rétorque? All studies were installed in the block with Permatex, no idea how water could make it that far

Thank you!!
                            Last edited by Surcouf; 05-18-2020, 07:41 AM. Reason: Typo
                            Surcouf

Comment

• Administrator
                              MMI Webmaster
                              • Oct 2004

This may help you with the leaky head bolts.

Bill

Comment

• Surcouf
                                • May 2018

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                                This may help you with the leaky head bolts.

Bill
                                Thank you
                                I started right away. First one went as per Don’s words.
                                For The second one the studs came out. Pretty hard to seat properly once the head is one. I went full permatex for now. If it leaks again, I will go JB weld for the bottom of the stud, and I would cut a nut to be able to seat the stud properly.
                                Answer tomorrow, once everything is dry.

Thank you!
                                Surcouf

Comment

Working...
                                X