• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nate M
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jan 2011

Water line

Im going back to the boat today ill get a better picture of the water line on the fly wheel, if i remember correctly the water was maybe a 1/4 of the way up on the fly wheel. From what you said about the starter that maybe the issue, the starter might still be meshed with the fly wheel, I removed the Alternator and the bolts that hold the starter on but it wouldn't budge any suggestions? I used the shop vac on the cylinders yesterday and poured in some more MMO. Thanks Neil the help would be much appreciated when would you be able to stop by?

Comment

• jpian0923
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2010

Starter might be supported from below for some reason or somewhere else. If you can't see any other supports do your best to feel around the whole thing. Jiggle the starter to remove it or gentle pry it from fly wheel housing. The starter gear might be holding it up too, if it's still meshed/engaged with the fly wheel. That gear should retract back in on it's own but if the groove got damaged it won't. Going back in, the gear would move (I think) clockwise. If it won't go by hand try a hammer and chisel/screwdriver. Where is your fly wheel cover?
      "Jim"
      S/V "Ahoi"
      1967 Islander 29
      Harbor Island, San Diego
      2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by Nate M View Post
        Thanks Neil the help would be much appreciated when would you be able to stop by?
        Sometime this weekend? Where's the boat located?
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Nate M
          Frequent Contributor
          • Jan 2011

Some good news

When I went to the boat today I removed the alternator and when I tried to get the starter off I noticed that the gear was still meshed with the flywheel i tried to work the the flywheel back and forth to loosen it but it seem like the starter gear was actually jammed on top of the flywheel's teeth so I used a dead blow hammer to work the starter free and removed it. Thats when the good news comes in with the starter out the flywheel spun freely so it looks like I may have avoided a costly overhaul I think. While having a pretty decent view of the side of the motor with the alternator and starter removed i got a good look at the water jacket that ill be replacing as well as a broken motor mount now I'm contemplating an overhaul by the looks of just this side of the motor does look like i might be able to wait until next year? other than the water jacket and motor mount which ill try to get done this month.
          Thanks for the all the help everyone.

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          Sometime this weekend? Where's the boat located?
          Neil the boat is in Wilmington slipped at Colonial Yacht anchorage I should be down there this weekend if you can make it let me know here's my number 313 415 1498 Thanks

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Nate M View Post
            Neil the boat is in Wilmington slipped at Colonial Yacht anchorage I should be down there this weekend if you can make it let me know here's my number 313 415 1498 Thanks
            I'm familiar with the area, was in Lighthouse and Pacific in the 80's. One question before I call: 313 area code??
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Nate M
              Frequent Contributor
              • Jan 2011

Area code

Yeah 313 I'm originally from Detroit where the rest of my family still lives they wouldn't call me when I had a 310 area code they thought it was long distance to my cell so I had to switch back.

Comment

• jpian0923
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2010

If the waterjacket is not leaking, Don't touch it! You might want to scrape some of the gunk off it though. Work on the starter. Like I said in an earlier post check to see if you can get the starter gear to retract. If not, take it apart ( the gear section only, not the electricals) and mill the groove that that gear rides in. Clean all the parts you remove with starter fluid or gas, and grease it good. Should be good to go after you fix that. Don't worry about the wear on the starter gear or fly wheel. Looks like they still have many years of use left on them.
                Where is your fly wheel cover?
                "Jim"
                S/V "Ahoi"
                1967 Islander 29
                Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• ArtJ
                  • Sep 2009

That water side jacket cover looks really bad. You might want to consider
                  biting the bullet and opening it and cleaning the inside. Moyer sells replacement
                  covers and stud repair kits. You are almost certain to have a few bolts
                  shear off. If you decide to do this, use a socket as a depth guide in case
                  you need to drill out the broken bolts. The cylinders walls are very close to the
                  outer skin. I wouldn't go deeper than absolutely necessary also be sure to
                  drill on center using a punch. This is a job worth doing now while you have
                  the starter off. a few hours work now will pay dividends. That side plate
                  looks like it is on its last legs.

Check some recent posts on side replacement for pictures.

Regards

Comment

• jpian0923
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2010

Good point art. But, that's a whole nother can of worms. Get the engine started first then go back to that other stuff.
                    Last edited by jpian0923; 02-10-2011, 04:05 PM.
                    "Jim"
                    S/V "Ahoi"
                    1967 Islander 29
                    Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• Nate M
                      Frequent Contributor
                      • Jan 2011

Fly wheel cover

I have the fly wheel cover i just took it off to get a look at what might be going on behind it. Id like to get the motor looking pretty and functioning at its best i think id like to try and tackle the water jacket just for piece of mind even knowing it could be a serious pain in the neck.

Comment

• jpian0923
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2010

Go slow on those bolts.
                        "Jim"
                        S/V "Ahoi"
                        1967 Islander 29
                        Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

Working...