• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Great Results So Far with Vapor Purge Line

I plumbed in a return line from the fuel pump output back to the tank. It runs through a valve that is just *barely* cracked.
    So far so good - fuel pressure is rock steady
    What used to happen after a long time running on a hot day is the fuel pressure would get erratic, dropping to 0 or close and bouncing back up to 4. On rare occasion fuel would quit feeding altogether
    One odd side effect is the engine is a lot easier to start. I think the carb primes a lot faster now.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Joe-
    Assuming a Facet pump...
    Have you noticed any difference in the temp of the pump?
    Maybe running cooler?

(Neil knows where this is going)
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I did not measure the before and after temp. I am assuming it is at least a little bit cooler. If I cracked the valve more it would probably be a lot cooler.
      edit - My buddies old 67 Corvette has this same system with a tiny drilled hole to meter the return fuel.
      Last edited by joe_db; 07-05-2021, 07:14 PM.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Update - still no sign at all of vapor lock and the engine remains easier to start
        My theory on starting is with my habit of running the fuel out at the end of the day, the vapor return allows the carb to prime again much easier.

I am thinking the fuel pump will also live a longer life being kept a bit cooler.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Still working well. We ran for several hours at 100% power and not a hint of fuel pressure fluctuations. I wish I had done this years ago!

* general hint, many "A4 problems" are not specific to the A4, many a diesel has fuel feed problems and exhaust problems too
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
          X