• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by sdemore View Post
    edwardc, I was hoping to run into you before you pulled yours out, I believe we are neighbors. I'm at White Rocks and I thought you had said you were at Oak Harbor. Perhaps next summer!

Steve
    I still plan on being up there for a while, as I have some projects to work on. So maybe we can get together for lunch or something. PM me if you're planning on being at the yard.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
      Steve, exactly the opposite. Higher octane fuel burns slower, and is designed for high compression engines. At only 6.3:1 compression ratio, a lower octane fuel will perform better in the A-4. What is really missing from modern fuels is the lead that lubricated the valve stems/guides, which I believe is one reason MMI recommends some MMO in the fuel to account for that shortcoming of unleaded gas.
      If your engine runs poorly on regular low octane gas you need to tune it up or otherwise figure out what the problem is.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• alcodiesel
        • Oct 2015

Steve wrote: "I have never had a carbureted engine," -I guess I am getting old.
        Bill McLean
        '76 Ericson 27
        :valhalla:
        Norfolk, VA

Comment

• tenders
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

Originally posted by alcodiesel View Post
          Steve wrote: "I have never had a carbureted engine," -I guess I am getting old.
          Great news! You must NOT be getting old, because that’s not what Steve said.

What he said was, “I have never had a carbureted engine, with spark, fuel, and starting fluid, fail to cough, sputter, or make any indication of fire in the cylinder.”

So he HAS had carbureted engines. Therefore, you must not be getting old.

(Are you buying it?)

Comment

• sdemore
            • Nov 2016

All of my motorcycle engines are carbureted, as are my lawnmowers, generators, and the old motorhome with the 454. None of my cars have been carbureted in the last 20 years or so though...
            Steve Demore
            S/V Doin' It Right
            Pasadena, MD
            sigpic

Comment

• Ken Rockwell
              • May 2017

I think you're starving for gas, not flooded. I messed with the adjustment screw a little. I think it just makes the engine run hotter and burn more fuel. I couldn't even get a flame to shoot out, just black smoke. Stop using starting fluid. You'll break the chunks of metal in between the piston rings or snap a rod

Comment

• Ken Rockwell
                • May 2017

Try a spray bottle of gas. Just a little bit will work.

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

Steve, if you can get carb'd motorcycles to run, this engine should be similar, and also can be susceptible to the same problems as motorcycles that don't run often (stale gas, gum/varnish in carbs, etc.)

My last carbureted car was an '85 Civic, which gave up the ghost about 1994. If I recall I got $1000 or so for it on trade-in.
                  Last edited by sastanley; 11-29-2017, 11:42 PM.
                  -Shawn
                  "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X