• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

this and that

Shawn,
    I..er ..um.. yea..ya see it's like this. I have a set of Wall-mart rabbitears feeding the new converter box that feeds the vcr that feeds the old T.v. and the stereo amp. The T.V. sound card got burned up when I accidentally back-fed full signal from the megawatt Akai stereo amp to the sound out put on the T.V.. So now I use the VCR to send the audio signal to the amp and blast the room with some vintage Cerwin Vega speakers. The Akai amplifier speaker power relay clicks off and on sometimes, so then I have to whack it like a bad dog. To watch T.V., we have to turn on four devices with four different remotes. So.. we read a lot.

got to go but I'll give a-4 update tonight,
    Russ

Update:
    The block is at the machine shop. Ric the machinist grew up on a diet of flatheads and fifties stuff. He will dress the valve seats and run a hone through the guides to clean them up. they are amazingly good after a stuck valve. I think the oil just got all coked up in the guide and grabbed the valve the last time it got too hot.
    He confirmed that my main bearing inserts were standard size(my crank is .010" undersize—1.978 inches). we (he) got the accessary drive idler shaft nut off, and found that the bushing and shaft was toast. It was heavily grooved. Talked to ken again and now have that and a few freeze plugs and accessary drive parts coming too.
    Now I am already thinking about what color to paint the ol' girl. And a motor like this has to have a name. Motors need love too. I'm thinking Fireball..uh..wait no that's not so good. I'll work on it.
    Another week maybe and then parts will be going back on.

Russ
    Last edited by lat 64; 01-16-2009, 01:27 PM. Reason: edit/update/spellin
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• msauntry
      • May 2008

Fireball.... Chevy's "Blue Flame" six just popped into my mind.

I'm going with with a good old fashioned hot rod RED on my next repaint. I've heard mechanics say that red engines run better anyway. Orange is too industrial, white is for fancy new diesels, green is for Volvo Penta's.

One fella painted his black with blue highlights on the raised lettering and silver accesories. Think it had a mural of a mermaid on the transmission cover, too. Now that's pimped out! He probably has red mood lighting in the engine bay to go along with the pimped out paint job.

Comment

• lat 64
        Afourian MVP
        • Oct 2008

name

I have it!
        Li'l Chernobyl
        An atomic theme with irony. The promise of a modern age. Cold war technology that was poorly maintained. Naw...

Russ
        Attached Files

Comment

• dvd
          • Dec 2008

weather

Here in Northern California it's pretty cold out today. The projected high is 64 degrees but there is plenty of sunshine. Only problem here during the winter is no wind. Wind usually starts coming up in march/april

dvd

Comment

• s/v Dearbhail
            • Nov 2008

Oh hell dvd, its 24F here in Norfolk and plenty of wind, 60s would be great! water temp around 5oF, great sailing if you can get in and out of the marina

I have a fouled prop and stuck to the pier.
            Mark
            1970, Northwind 29, #5

Comment

• rigspelt
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2008

-23C here this morning (-9F). Unusually cold for us, we're normally just under freezing. Harbour frozen up. Sigh. At least I can concentrate on boat work.
              1974 C&C 27

Comment

• lat 64
                Afourian MVP
                • Oct 2008

temp

Man, how'd we get on weather?
                But I might as well give an update on the temp up here. The temperature at the airport last week was -40F. This week starting around Tuesday it got up to +40F to +45F. There are some places around town that saw a 90-degree change in about four days. I'm sorry, but we sent you our weather. We were done with it.

I cropped some graphs from a WX station in a place about 20 miles from my house

Russ
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X