X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Is there a picture available of the deck where the step goes?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Hymodyne
      • Feb 2013

partial pic
      Attached Files

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Do I understand the part stuck in the mast has a rectangular tenon that mates to the pictured mortise? If yes, that explains the re-stepping question quite well.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

This might work:
          Having a crew member apply heat with a torch while you use a hammer to impact. Be sure to use a piece of wood between the mast and the hammer so you don't tear up the mast.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Hymodyne
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
            Every sailboat I ever built (100's) or was otherwise involved (many 100's more) regardless of size had the mast step affixed to either the deck via stainless lag bolts into a reinforcement/compression post structure in the case of deck stepped masts or via stainless machine screws into a structural steel armature in the bilge in the case of keel stepped masts. The step fit into the mast's heel to check fore and aft and lateral movement.

Following James' thread I could not help but think a stuck mast step is not a normal condition so with the mast on horses this is the ideal time to deal with it. It's reasonable to assume the mast end has been corroded, probably on the inside where it cannot be seen, the reason the step is stuck. There is no greater force on a sailboat than mast compression so if it were me I'd want that area to be as pristine as humanly possible and to that end step removal, careful inspection and possible remediation would be high on my project list. Remediation might be as simple as drilling water drain holes to keep the step area as dry as possible.

Like I said, now is the time. Sorry for preaching James, just expressing my concern.
            Well, it looks like I have to fix this base now. New tinned wire for the steaming light came today, and I cannot re-thread the new wire with the base on.

If the affected area was irrigated and made to vibrate could the corrosion be removed that way from the joint? pb blaster or some other penetrant and movement

James

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Hymodyne View Post
              If the affected area was irrigated and made to vibrate could the corrosion be removed that way from the joint? pb blaster or some other penetrant and movement
              Anything is possible I suppose but 'taint nuthin like the battering ram described earlier.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                Anything is possible I suppose but 'taint nuthin like the battering ram described earlier.
                Dang right!
                Pounding on stuff is psychologically satisfying.
                Just don't over do it.................

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Hymodyne
                  • Feb 2013

Taught my last class, got on the bike and headed to the boatyard. With mallet and screwdriver, and copious amounts of pb blaster, I was able to get the base off and cleaned.
                  found out that an ear on the mast top casting is cracked. 3/16 stainless plate coming to make matching covers for both sides of the casting that I'll drill for the backstay

James
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Hymodyne; 08-31-2017, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

I suggest reassembling with a coat of NOALOX between the mast extrusion and the shoe to check the corrosion and adding 3/8" drain holes on both sides so water that accumulates inside the mast has a way out.

How does the corrosion look on the inside of the extrusion?
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• Hymodyne
                      • Feb 2013

interior spaces are ok, once cleaned up. I plan to re assemble with an anti corrosive in place between cast base and mast extrusion.
                      James

Comment

Working...
                      X