X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scratchee
    • Feb 2020

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
    The carb may have become warped. Someone on here may have a method to fix that so it seals again.
    I had pretty good luck "machining" the surfaces of both halves with a belt sander. I just held the carb in one hand (one half at a time) and the sander in the other. I had to do some manual sanding around the pivot point where the float is mounted.

Comment

• JackConnick
      • Nov 2004

I really thought the dirty fuel was going to solve the leak, but no go. Same symptoms, ran fine, but then gas leaked out the needle valve.

I ended up just ordering a new carb as I was out of time. Installed it tonight and she ran great, actually much smoother, so even using carb cleaner I think the old one had gunk left in it.

But I disassembled the old carb as I'd like to fix it as a spare. Again, no "smoking gun" or dirt, everything looked ok. No missing washers, etc.

However, looking at the float I noticed a shiny spot from the top of the needle valve. I double checked that the seat was down tight. It looks nive and level when installed as well.

Has anyone seen this before?

Should I just buy another float? It's not leaking.

Jack
      Attached Files

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
        The carb may have become warped. Someone on here may have a method to fix that so it seals again.
        Hold the two halves of the carb together (no gasket) against a light source. If you can see light through the two halves the carb is warped.
        Scratchee in post # 16 washable to fix this condition.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• JackConnick
          • Nov 2004

It's not leaking out the halves, gas is just flowing out the throat and anywhere it can get out. The needle valve is leaking.

Jack

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            • Jan 2007

The "spot" on the float arm is where the needle rides so it is worn smooth as it should be.

A "leaking spot" would be on the chamfer at the bottom of the seat on the inside where the needle sits OR the end of the needle itself is compromised.

The only other way fuel gets by that assembly is through the threads of the seat and/or the "sealing washer" for the seat.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JackConnick
              • Nov 2004

Yeah I agree. And all are new. I checked for burrs on the seat. All is screwed down tight.

Jack

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                • Jan 2007

If all is well with the needle and seat then there is only about one way it could leak. I see in the pic I think that you have the fuel line fitting removed. This is a no-no in carb work as it is just unnecessary. On a few occasions I ran across a crack in the housing from "over tightening" the tapered pipe threads. Depending on where the crack was they could leak (bypass) fuel into the bowl bypassing the N&S OR leak down the outside of the carb and there is no fix for that. Your leak has to be between the end of the fuel hose clamp and the bowl.

Just a hair line mark can leak fuel. Did you try dressing the seat? Do you have a black tipped or a solid needle?

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
                X