X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

The A4 is a relatively undemanding engine as far as ignition goes *except for being in a damp/wet environment*. IMHO the biggst gain from EI is that you won't have damp ignition starting issues. If you need the EI just to make your engine work it has issues.

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
    I have the Indigo E/I and after running it for around 10 years without a resistor, I called Tom for an opinion. He asked me to try a resistor on mine to see if I could detect any "cold starting or while running issues". The E/I hot feed is on the resisted side with the coil. I never did check the voltage, I just installed the resistor supplied to me. I have been using it for a bit over a year now and did not notice that I had made any changes at all. The E/I will work will with lowered voltages, as long as you stay within suggested voltages. I absolutely did not notice anything and I must say it did suprise me a bit.

Dave Neptune
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
      I have been using it (Indigo supplied resistor) for a bit over a year now and did not notice that I had made any changes at all. The E/I will work will with lowered voltages, as long as you stay within suggested voltages.
      Your experience mirrors mine, no noticeable change in performance at all.

The difference is Indigo uses a fixed resistance value for all applications whereas we recommended tailoring the resistance to individual situations accounting for alternator output, system voltage drop and existing internal coil resistance all of which vary from boat to boat. I think Indigo's resistor is a little more aggressive than our calculated recommendations but keeping the eye on the prize, as long as the components are protected from destructive influences without performance degradation it's all good.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Does everyone using the resistors use the start terminal on the solenoid? IIRC that is what it is there for - to bypass the resistor during cranking.

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
        Your experience mirrors mine, no noticeable change in performance at all.

The difference is Indigo uses a fixed resistance value for all applications whereas we recommended tailoring the resistance to individual situations accounting for alternator output, system voltage drop and existing internal coil resistance all of which vary from boat to boat. I think Indigo's resistor is a little more aggressive than our calculated recommendations but keeping the eye on the prize, as long as the components are protected from destructive influences without performance degradation it's all good.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
          Does everyone using the resistors use the start terminal on the solenoid? IIRC that is what it is there for - to bypass the resistor during cranking.
          I do not. It may be of greater importance with a smallish or depleted starting battery where the starter load draws the voltage down significantly. My start battery is an automotive G24 and and to date (fingers crossed) I've had no need for the resistor bypass.

edit:
          Please remember, all this resistor talk only applies to coils with insufficient internal resistance at the outset.
          Last edited by ndutton; 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California

Comment

• marthur
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2004

Tell me more about the start terminal.
            Mike

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

It's actually the 'R' terminal on the solenoid. It gets battery voltage when the start button is pushed (or key). Some use that voltage to bypass the OPSS for electric fuel pump operation during starting but it can be also used to bypass the ballast resistor during starting as well.

I'd suggest if the R terminal bypass is needed, either the resistor is too aggressive or the combination of battery capacity/condition and wiring harness voltage drop need attention.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

In cars with ballast resistors this was what the extra (R) terminal did - boost the spark at startup.

You need to pick one OR the other. If you connect the fuel pump and the coil the OPSS would be defeated.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Thanks Joe, my post was not clear on that point. Either - Or.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• roadnsky
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                    I do not either.
                    No issues...
                    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                    sigpic
                    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Mark S
                      • Sep 2008

Baffled

Hi folks.

I got the Echlin IC14 coil and installed it over the weekend. It measured 3.5 ohms across the terminals and rather than screw around now with the ICR 5500 resistor I just installed the coil normally. I can install the resistor at my leisure another time if I feel I need it.

It may have been wishful thinking on my part when I originally thought the coil needed replacing because the old girl still won't start. I have spark out of the coil (saw it and felt it!) which I think means that everything ahead of the coil is functioning properly. However, I have no spark out of the distributor. I determined this by disconnecting a plug wire and holding the electrode close to the block and having Alicia turn the key, the same way I checked for spark out of the coil.

The rotor and cap are brand new. The wires are brand new. Thinking there may have been a problem with one or the other, I replaced them both with brand new ones. Still nothing. The only things I have ever changed on the distributor since installing the Ignitor are the rotor, cap and wires. I thought maybe the electrode off the coil wire was not inserted into the cap completely so I pulled the boot back and made sure the electrode was inserted fully. Still nothing.

Anybody got any ideas, because I'm stumped.

Mark S

Comment

• Marian Claire
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Aug 2007

I'm drawing a blank of its name. Is the little black ring that fits on the distributor shaft for the EI properly seated? Do you have a spare EI? Dan S/V Marian Claire
                        Edit: Magnetic ring
                        Last edited by Marian Claire; 04-29-2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                          • Nov 2008

Has the distributor been rotated somehow so the spark is occurs while the rotor is between terminals on the cap? Put #1 on compression and have a look see if the rotor is pointing to the right area on the cap.
                          Best I can do for now.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Ball Racing
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jul 2011

Try a old cap and rotor.
                            I have seen a new cap with the little button not protruding down as much as it's suppose too.
                            I have also seen a rotor made wrong, and the springy metal strap not making contact with cap.

Also as mentioned if the EI magnetic ring is not down all the way it will not let the rotor seat fully, and it may not be turning.
                            Tyring to keep the Bay's Wooden Boat's history from dying off completely.
                            Daniel

Comment

• Mark S
                              • Sep 2008

Stupid me, I threw out the old cap and rotor before all this stuff arose. I already checked the magnet and it is down all the way. The rotor is seated well, too. Your thought about the button is a good one and it fits the facts. Also the rotor contact. I'll fiddle with those and report back.

Comment

• romantic comedy
                                Afourian MVP
                                • May 2007

FWIW, a quiock way to check the coil:

Remove the distributor cap and rotor.

Turn on the ignition switch.

You need the points to be in a closed position. Then open and close the points, while holding the coil wire near the ground.

You will see a spark, hopefully.

I have no resistor on the original 1974 coil, so I dont use the terminal on the starter for start up.

BTW, can we just say 3.1 ohms, and not 3.18363538. I dont think we can be that accurate...

Comment

Working...
                                X