• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jacob Wenegrat
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jul 2005

White smoke revisited

Hi Don,

A while back we posted a thread about intermittent white smoke coming from our engine. The smoke seemed to be present when there was some valve noise, although compression always tested well (110 on all 4 cylinders). In addition the smoke seemed to only be present after the engine was put under load. You were of the opinion that it could be the result of a broken valve spring causing the valve to "float" at higher RPM.

We took the head, manifold, and valve covers off, and fortunately (or unfortunately) there is nothing obviously wrong. A valve on cylinder 3 seemed to have some carbon build up, but it is not burned out. All the springs look fine, etc.

We are going to take out the valves, clean them up, clean up the seats, replace the springs, and adjust the valves before re-assembly.

My question to you is there anything else worth checking/replacing/doing while the engine is opened up like this?

I am trying to avoid putting the thing back together only to find that nothing has changed...

Thanks again,
    Jacob
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Jacob,

Sorry about the fact that you found no obvious smoking gun. I'm still a bit hung up on your report that the smoke was (presumably always) accompanied by an increase in valve noise. My guess is that your replacing of the valve springs and otherwise cleaning up the valves will remedy the valve noise, and with it, the smoke. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Don

Comment

• Jacob Wenegrat
      Frequent Contributor
      • Jul 2005

Thanks

Thanks Don,

We will keep you posted on the results.

Jacob

Comment

Working...
      X