X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avi
    • May 2010

Oiling the distributor

I have a late model A4 with a Delco distributor. I recently rebuilt the thing but I can't figure out how the shaft gets oil. Does engine oil get up there?
  • rigspelt
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2008

Not certain, but I know there is a small piece of absorbant felt-like material at the top of the shaft that is intended to hold a bit of oil. I found a note somewhere which says to keep it damp not wet with synthetic machine oil. That could just be to lubricate the flyweight mechanism as the distributor spins? Might also lubricate the upper end of the shaft? Presumably the lower end is lubricated with motor oil? I had trouble getting this clear using google, and just tried again with same result.

This thread might help: http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3064.

(This photo shows the felt in its recess at the top of the shaft, prior to refitting the flyweights and replacing the missing springs.)
    Attached Files
    1974 C&C 27

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Oiling

The felt oils the counter shaft for the advance and the weights require a bit of grease be applied when they dry out. I use a "vistac" type of machine way oil for the felts as it creeps and ""sticks well. I have tried using a silicone based bearing grease the last time I lubed the weights two seasons ago. The advance was working fine at the start of last season and soon I'll see if it is required again this year.

The bottom gets its oil from the engine oil supplied to the drive gear in the accy. drive.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Avi
        • May 2010

good stuff, especially the link and Dave's post from 2007. thanks, all

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

I saw this post and realized I hadn't done it. Just ran down to the boat about 45 minutes ago and pulled the cap and plate. Springs etc all looked good so I gave them a shot of anti-corrosive lubricant anyway, then put it back together.

Great reminders, some of these posts.

Regards,
          Mo
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
          The optimist expects it to change.
          The realist adjusts the sails.
          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Mo, That's funny...when I first took my distributor apart, I almost threw the piece of felt away...I thought it was just dust accumulating in there from years of neglect...the dumb things these guys on this forum have saved me from doing!
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• Mo
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2007

Hey Shawn...I remember the first when I got the boat. Hauled it home for a refit. Finally got to the engine which was supposedly working...it didn't. I fool around, valves, head gasket etc. Said OK...its got to work...hooked the hose up directly and fired it up. Had exhaust maninfold leak and it wouldn't run once the thermostat opened.

I go on line and then read...do not hook hose up directly to engine...opps

I know what you are saying. Like yourself, I live close to the water also, and now the boat is 3 kms from the house. It's not a big deal to shoot down there and do some of these things. Others have to plan a trip, ensure they have all their tools etc...and it all comes to a halt if they forget something.

later
              mo
              Mo

"Odyssey"
              1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
              The optimist expects it to change.
              The realist adjusts the sails.
              ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

Working...
              X