X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick_Powers
    • Dec 2008

Solar Panel Performance

This is a continuation of the Solar Panel for Recharging Battery Thread.

The new solar panel arrived today (Thanks Amazon.com free shipping!).

Nicely packaged it measures 36" x 14" x 1" thick. Sturdy and weighs about 7 lbs. Looks cool with the black photo-voltaic surface. The future is here!

It is rated at 15W x 15V = 1 Amp

First thing I did was to take it out into the sunlight. Pointing directly at the sun at 3pm on a bright and sunny California afternoon I measured 22 volts coming out. Yeah!

Laying it down on the ground flat, I measured 22 volts. Yeah!

Bringing it inside to my kitchen table (I have lots of windows for ambient light) I still measured 15 volts. Good!

Into a darker bedroom with only one oblique window, 13 volts. Wow.

So, I will attach the panel to the voltage controller which prevents over charging, and that, with my new #1 battery, should keep me out of battery trouble for quite a while.

Tomorrow I will install the system on the boat. I can't wait!

(PS- this is an independent evaluation of this product)

Coleman Solar Panels Meet all your power requirements with the Coleman 12-volt solar panels, designed for the great outdoorS Battery Maintainers & Trickle Chargers The Coleman solar battery maintainers and trickle chargers provide an ideal way for you to maintain the existing charge in a 12-volt battery. 1 Watt, 12-Volt Solar Power Sports Battery Maintainer […]

Attached Files
    Last edited by Rick_Powers; 10-29-2009, 08:43 PM.
    Rick Powers
    Palo Alto, CA
    1976 Catalina 27
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Looks good Rick!
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• rgoff
      • Oct 2004

Volts don't mean too much by themselves. It's the amps coming out that count. You can't measure those until it's hooked up to a battery (or controller). Then the volts will go down to under 14 or so, depending on battery charge.
      Ralph
      1973 Ericson 27, "Hog Time"

Comment

• Rick_Powers
        • Dec 2008

Amps

Yes, you are correct.

After the controller it is 15 Volts x 1 Amp = 15 Watts

My point with the volts observations was that the panel picks up good photon flux even in sub-optimal conditions (off angle, inside a house, etc.).
        Rick Powers
        Palo Alto, CA
        1976 Catalina 27

Comment

Working...
        X