X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • longhorizon
    • Apr 2024

wacky tachy

Several years ago, when I did a lot of work on my A4, I installed a new MM tachometer. At the same time I also installed an Indigo Electronics breakerless ignition system. The tach has never functioned properly and I wonder if anyone can give me some suggestions. I'm fairly sure that I wired it correctly, accordng to instructions. Here are the symtoms:

Most of the time the needle is all the way pegged to the max. Sometimes it gives a reading of what I believe to be double the actual RPM and rarely it seems to read the proper RPM but only for short and unpredictable periods of time. Is it possible that the tach is not compatible with the electronic ignition?

Any suggestions (particularly if they lead to a working tach!) much appreciated!

KSturmann
    Tartan 34C
  • jhwelch
    • Dec 2005

If there is one, did you adjust the little knob on the back side to
    indicate how many cylinders you have on the motor?

-jonathan

Comment

• longhorizon

#3 Unapproved
      Good suggestion. I don't recall but I'm sure I made the assumption that since it was sold by a dedicated Atomic4 site (MM) that this had already been taken into account. I'll check when I get a chance to remove the internal bulkhead cover.

KSturmann

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

Originally posted by ksturmann View Post
        Several years ago, when I did a lot of work on my A4, I installed a new MM tachometer. At the same time I also installed an Indigo Electronics breakerless ignition system. The tach has never functioned properly and I wonder if anyone can give me some suggestions. I'm fairly sure that I wired it correctly, accordng to instructions. Here are the symtoms:

Most of the time the needle is all the way pegged to the max. Sometimes it gives a reading of what I believe to be double the actual RPM and rarely it seems to read the proper RPM but only for short and unpredictable periods of time. Is it possible that the tach is not compatible with the electronic ignition?

Any suggestions (particularly if they lead to a working tach!) much appreciated!

KSturmann
        Tartan 34C
        The tach has a gray or blue wire that goes to the negative terminal of the coil, a red wire that goes to 12V switched power and a black ground wire. Maybe another power lead for lighting the gauge. They're pretty simple to hook up.

If your hookup is like that and it still doesn't work, it's probably a bad tach. I have the Ignitor electronic ignition too, and my tach works fine.

Comment

Working...
        X