X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhaggard
    • Jul 2007

Curiosity

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know when Atomic 4 engines were first built? I don't remember a time when they were NOT around.

Bob
  • HerbertFriedman
    • Oct 2004

curiosity

I recall reading somewhere that the engine was designed in 1932, probably for farm use.

Comment

• Chip Hindes
      • Aug 2007

The statement (that it was designed around 1932, probably as a farm engine) is contradicted in part by the original (pre-1974) Universal motor manual that came with my boat, which says that it was designed specifically for marine use.

Interesting that you should ask as I have been researching this question myself since I got my Newport 30 with Atomic 4 only about six weeks ago. There is a number of web links purporting to point to history of Universal Marine engines but they all appear to be dead.

The earliest reference I have found is to 1947, but it certainly could have been much earlier. I have seen the Atomic 4 compared to the Model T Ford auto and Ford tractor engines, which are way earlier even than 1932. These share a number of design characteristics: four cylinders cast into a single engine block, L- or flathead valve arrangement and updraft carburetor. So did a great number of other brand motors from about 1910 through the forties. I may be wrong, but it seems to me the flywheel on the wrong (front) end of the engine is peculiar to the Atomic, and it would be interesting to know if there are others.

I also wonder if the comparison was no more than a marketing ploy to compare the Atomic 4 favorably with motors with which most people were more familiar. The Ford motors in particular were manufactured by the bazillion were well known for their widespread use for every conceivable purpose, and also for being "bulletproof".
      Chip Hindes
      '74 Newport 30' S/V "Scarlett"

Comment

• tenders
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

1949 ad:

I heard someone (maybe Don, maybe Robert Hess) say that the nickel content in the alloy used to cast A4 is expensive and designed to reduce corrosion in saltwater-cooled engines. Not necessary for tractors in Nebraska, thus bolstering the argument (in addition to the statement on the ad above) that it really is a marine engine.

As Chip points out there are lots and lots of very similar 4-cylinder flathead engines out there. (The fact that you can get a replacement carburetor more or less off-the-shelf bears this out too!) I took my head in to get ground flat several years ago and asked the machine shop owner what he thought it was. His answer was "forklift engine from the 1940's."

Comment

• jhwelch
          • Dec 2005

For Part 1 of History of the Universal Motor Company go to:

Comment

• luvmyi36
            • Jun 2007

great read JHWELCH! Thanks for posting it.
            Jim
            S/V Cayenne
            1975 Islander 36
            www.betterbmp.com

Comment

Working...
            X