X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bad sneakers
    • Mar 2007

Old A4 start-up

I recently acquired a sailboat with a rebuilt A4. The engine only has about 30hours on it but has been sitting in the slip, unused for several years. Rather than cross my fingers and turn the key, I was hoping someone would have a checklist of pre-start up preparations, things to look for. The engine appears to be in good condition but like I said unused for 2 or 3 years.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Bad sneakers,

The attached check list should give you the information you need.

Regards,

Don
    Attached Files

Comment

• bad sneakers
      • Mar 2007

Thanks Don. Let the mayhem begin!!! I'll keep you posted.

Comment

• forcenine
        • Jan 2007

Old A4 - same boat

Don, the start up list is great. Thanks.

Bad Sneakers, I've been in the same boat as you working on getting a long sitting engine going. Thought it was worth sharing that I did not have good compression in some cylinders at the start. I then flooded the engine with Riselone overnight and it returned. I presume the major lubrication helped unstick the rings.
        Good luck.

Comment

• bad sneakers
          • Mar 2007

Would Marvel do the same thing? That's one of my biggest concerns, sticky or frozen components. Also I discovered that there's about 12 gallons of gasoline in the tank and that'll have to be drained. As far as cracks or clogs in the block, well I'll find those when I start it up I guess.

Comment

• forcenine
            • Jan 2007

Bad S,
            I assume MMOil would work too. Be prepared for all that stuff to end up in the bilge after drowing the cylinders. It took several oil absorbing cloths to get rid of the Riselone. I also had about a 1/2 tank of gas to dispense with and was expecting the tank to be all vanished up but it looked fine to me through the hole. I tried a start this weekend and had to trace down a wire (the red w/ yellow stripe) connected to the ignition switch which was not making it to the solenoid. Rewired it cranked but still no start. Discovered the oil safety switch is bad ans have ordered one. Dammit, it's a SAILBOAT.
            Lisa (forcenine)

Comment

• bad sneakers
              • Mar 2007

Forcenine,

My first job will be to shovel the snow out of the cockpit!!

You brought up another good point, gasoline. I'm not sure how much or how old the gas in that tank is. I'm guessing the prudent thing to do is to drain it and start fresh. But how do you safely dispose of it?

Yeah it is a sailboat dammit!!!LOL!!!

Comment

Working...
              X