X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HalfHourEarly
    • Apr 2009

Drive Coupling Heating up

I seem to have a strange problem. My drive coupling gets very hot when driving. Even though the stuffing box is dripping and cool, I have disconnected the shaft just to be sure. Then when I ran the engine in forwrd, the drive coupling still got hot. Is it possible that this is related to the seal, the backing nut, bearing? I'm grasping at straws but that's where I am. Or maybe, the heat is normal.

Thanks

Steve
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Hot?

Steve, as the coupling is connected to the engine it should get as hot as the rest of the engine. If ti is running about as warm as the trans area or the pan things are fine. If it is "much hotter" there could be a problem however for there to be one the aft bearing or the trans should be making some noise.
    The log can run a bit warm (not hot) to a round as cool as the water and also be fine.
    What is it that makes you feel it is "overheating"?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Steve,

What made you touch the coupling. Was there something amiss or did you just happen to touch it. I see the 1/2 hour early so it's just a matter of where you live...heh heh! If you have no noise it will be fine.

What temp is she running at. I have thermostat out, by-valve in and open 1/2; I use diesel oil...15W40 will work fine where you are...it offers excellent protection and properties for these engines. We ask allot of our engines in chop so feed her the best. I can hold my hand on the head or the block anytime and she will run through a sea chop all day.

Give me a call at the house if you want and I'll bring you up to speed on keeping these things running in our neck of the woods....I'm from Argentia area but now live in Halifax. 902 4, six, 1 - 1, two, two, eight.

A few adjustments and she'll be fine. We'll sort her out there By'....
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ILikeRust
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by HalfHourEarly View Post
        I seem to have a strange problem. My drive coupling gets very hot when driving. Even though the stuffing box is dripping and cool, I have disconnected the shaft just to be sure. Then when I ran the engine in forwrd, the drive coupling still got hot. Is it possible that this is related to the seal, the backing nut, bearing? I'm grasping at straws but that's where I am. Or maybe, the heat is normal.
        Seems to me it should be no hotter than the rest of the engine crankcase. If it's really hot, seems to me to be a potential sign that the thrust bearing is going/gone bad.
        - Bill T.
        - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

Working...
        X