• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Balmar Alternator Installation and Test

PT 1:
    I recently got a Balmar 812-65 from Fleabay for cheap new in box I'll have some details on installing it shortly, but here is the summary:
    This alternator was sold by Balmar with their trademark white and blue paint, but inside it is based on a Prestolite 65 amp alternator. Prestolite is related to Motorola and Leece-Neville, so this looks a lot like our stock 37 and 50 amp Motorolas.

I will follow up with some photos detailing what needs doing to install it, but to cut to the chase, here are the results: It seems to do better than any of my other alternators at low speeds. I saw 27 amps just off idle - maybe 1200-1400 RPM or so. Neither my Motorolas nor 120 amp 10si will do this. At full speed cruise, say 2300 RPM +/-, I loaded the system up with a hair dryer and saw 55 amps out This is obviously vastly better than the 37 amp Motorola. My 50 amp Motorola might maybe hit 40 amps on a good day and the 10si maybe 47 or so, maybe 50 briefly.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

As you continue to assess the new alternator's performance please keep a watchful eye on its temperature at low RPM. Impressive output is one thing but the fan's ability to cool the alternator under load is important too.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Here you can see the new next to the old. The case are nearly identical and the same mounting bolts work. The regulator is off the old Motorola right now and the new Balmar has a connection block that replaces the regulator. Both ends of the field coil are brought out to terminals. The field terminals are the top connections with the two arrows pointing at them. One field connection is jumpered over to the ground connection and the other one will be used for the regulator connection. Note this is an isolated ground alternator. You have to connect to both the positive and negative terminals. This is a great benefit if you want to add a shunt to the alternator, it is always easier and safer to insert into the negative side.
      The two AC taps are covered and not presently used, but some tachs and some regulators want AC connections, so you have them available if needed.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by joe_db; 07-28-2017, 12:57 PM.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

I found out you cannot use the pulley from a Motorola alternator. The shaft on the Motorola is smaller and is keyed as well. I used the pulley from a 10si and ended up needing two washers to get a good fit. The washers go under the nut in FRONT of the pulley, not behind it. Note the directional fan on the Balmar vs. bidirectional on the Motorola.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by joe_db; 07-28-2017, 01:01 PM.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Test run. Obviously I need to permanently connect to the field and replace the ratty ground wire I had lying around. So far max output is 55 amps, which is pretty good
          Attached Files
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• thatch
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2009

"Isolated Ground"

Joe, Thank's for the "isolated ground" comment. Some time ago I purchased the same alternator along with a basket of A4 parts. I ran it on my test engine not knowing that it needed it's own full ground and got no charge out of it. I'll try it again, hopefully with better results.
            Tom

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Do you have a regulator for it? I can describe a DIY test regulator you can make for about $2 to just see if it works.
              There are a few more of these here if anyone wants one:
              Last edited by joe_db; 07-28-2017, 02:27 PM.
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• Van_Isle
                • Sep 2012

Ah yes. $32 for the alternator and $74 (!!!) for shipping from Lynden Washington to Victoria BC .... plus exchange rate to CAD of course and probably get dinged with duty and taxes as well. I should be driving right by there going to Portland next week but I doubt they offer pick-up (if it isn't in the listing then unlikely). Ah well, don't really need it anyway.
                1979 C&C 27 MkIII, Hull No. 780
                Cygnet
                North Saanich, BC

Comment

• thatch
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2009

Joe, Knowing whether or not my Balmar gen is working is a good start, so I'd like to see your temporary regulator. Buying one of their $300 multi-stage regulators is really out of the question so unless it can be used as a more conventional alternator, it will probably remain being a pretty paper-weight.
                  Thank's, Tom

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Hook it all up and get a light socket you can connect to and couple of jumper wires.
                    With the engine running *briefly* connect one jumper from + to the field. This will drive the alternator to full output. You will hear the engine slow down and see the battery voltage rise. This is enough to confirm that it works
                    You can experiment by putting light bulbs between + and the field connection. The higher the wattage, the more power from the alternator. This is an old time field emergency repair for a dead regulator.

There are any number of aftermarket single stage regulators around if you do some google-fu and the one from the stock Motorola could probably be made to work. You are looking for a "B circuit" external regulator. {The "B" circuit type voltage regulator grounds one brush inside the alternator. Then the voltage regulator controls the positive power to the other brush which runs to the rotor coil inside the alternator. Control of this positive power into the rotor coil turns the alternator on and off.}

Here are a couple I found just poking around:

Looks like around $70 or so.

For less money:
                    Extra Heavy Duty Voltage Regulator For Ford 1G Series External Regulated Alternators 12 Volt, 14.2 Voltage set point., Negative. Ground. 100% New. May be used on lower amperage alternators for greater durability than stock.

Sterling marine 3 stage: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sterling-Pro...xUyWLR&vxp=mtr

IF you don't want your alternator, we seem to have a Canadian A4ian suffering from shipping to Canada issues that might like it
                    Last edited by joe_db; 07-29-2017, 03:01 PM.
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• thatch
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2009

Joe, Thank's for those leads, I'm kind of back-logged with other projects but I'll definitely give the simple test a try.
                      Tom

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Got the real wiring on. I love the hydraulic wire crimper, it beats the hell out of those bang-it-with-a-hammer things
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by joe_db; 07-30-2017, 09:53 PM.
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

• Van_Isle
                          • Sep 2012

That's one of the Harbor Freight models? How do you find the die-sizes?
                          Cygnet
                          North Saanich, BC

Comment

• joe_db
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Yes it is Harbor Freight. I think the dies might be a little small. The 4 gauge die REALLY squeezes the 4 gauge lugs. Those things are NEVER going to come off. You could likely go one gauge bigger on some of them.
                            If you are cheap and hardly ever make cables, a local West Marine with a Nicropress crimper in their rigging section comes in handy too
                            EDIT - the release is a valve, so you don't have to go to full crimp, you can release at any point.
                            Last edited by joe_db; 08-01-2017, 08:31 AM.
                            Joe Della Barba
                            Coquina
                            C&C 35 MK I
                            Maryland USA

Comment

• Van_Isle
                              • Sep 2012

Yes unfortunately those offshore-made hydraulic crimpers seem to have dies that don't match any standard. Seems they probably re-labeled the dies from metric 'equivalents' .... not so flattering review of them here: https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables/

I'm lucky ... my wife's nephew is an electrician. I have a big Greenlee hand crimper (K09-2GL) on loan, that's rated to do up to 4/0 cable.
                              Cygnet
                              North Saanich, BC

Comment

Working...
                              X