X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Cow
    • Jul 2008

Looking for good A4 mechanic in San Diego, CA

Need help please. Just purchased a 1980 C27 but the engine needs to be dialed in. Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Concord
    • Jun 2008

Take the time to learn

The Atomic 4 is a very straight forward engine to work on and learn.

Rather than pay someone you should take the time to learn for yourself since the mechanic may not be available when you are on the water. In a gasoline engine there are three basic things required for operation - Compression, Spark and Fuel.

Begin by ordering a manual which every A4 owner should have then check compression because without that fuel and spark don't matter. You can pick up a compression gauge at any autoparts store pretty cheap.

Then move to ignition and fuel. If the engine able to run then you can look at the trouble shooting ideas on the forum.

From my experience sail boat marine engines are prone to fuel problems. The fuel spends a long time in the tank and gets contaminated. I did a write up on my fuel trouble shooting a few weeks ago. A good starting point would be to pull the carb and make sure everything is clean and tight with no varnish or debris clogging any of the ports. new gaskets are a good idea to be sure there are no air leaks messing up the fuel/air mixture. Check the polishing filter and strainer and take a fuel sample to be sure the fuel being delivered to the carb is clean and clear.

If you are still interested in a mechanic just about any marine mechanic should be able to help. The technology is pretty mature at this point so you may be better off with a mechanic that has been around a while with a little internal combusion common sense.

Comment

• Mad Cow
      • Jul 2008

Thank you!

Not being mechanically inclined (but willing and wanting to learn), I will definately follow through with your suggestions. Is 52 too old to learn to work on engines? *laughing* My shop teacher traumatized me when I was young but have always wanted to learn. I have a good friend who may be willing to help me though this.

Thanks again! Happy sailing.

Comment

• superdave474
        • Jun 2007

mad cow

Is this the Mad Cow that used to do the Beer Cans with a couple of fellows by the name of Blanden?

Comment

• Mad Cow
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by superdave474 View Post
          Is this the Mad Cow that used to do the Beer Cans with a couple of fellows by the name of Blanden?

Had plenty of Beer Cans throughout my years but not the same one, sorry. Name's Frank

Comment

Working...
          X